Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concentration problems

Options
  • 12-10-2003 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Does anyone have any tips on studying?

I find it very hard to concentrate sometimes. I get my homework done but it takes way longer than it should. I just start day dreaming ..thinking about everything. It's really annoying! How do u just focus!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i try not to do stuff when im tired, early morning is the best time to study

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

urgh i need help too... some mind altering drugs is what im thinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

know the feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Studying in the mornings certainly works better for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Give up now, it's hopeless....

(You thought you were rid of me seamus.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

if you eat an apple it really wakes you up, better than coffee.

and being prepared helps.

also, i was forced to do a study timetable, but it actually works, sush, dont tell them i like it. cuz it sets everything aside

im presently sitting mt PRE mocks..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think they should make study timetables for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

does an apple serious work...? i'll try anything lik..! :)

.....ur currently sittin ur pre mocks.. arnt pre's just enough if u get me...? hehe. suppose it gets u learnin i wudnt b complainin!

caffiene tablets...pro plus and the likes.

Go to the gym and get a bit of exercise in every second or third day just for maybe 1 hour of heavy duty working out and your laziness should subside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

exercise....well thats kinda my problem in a sence i do football and athletics and that for me takes up alot of my time then when i come home im to tired to do ne thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Have a bottle of water with you when studying. I find it very hard to concentrate in class and when studying, but since i've been bringing bottles into class, this has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

When studying, after you've read over a page, and 'learned' it, try recall and summarise everything on it. Recall the layout of the page, the position of the ideas in the text. If its maths, try write out the proof again by yourself or something.
    Basically.. mentally engage in what youve read over, dont just read it and assume you're going to remember it.. check to see if you can remember it, and keep doing it until your confident youll never forget it.
    That will make sure youre mind doesnt just drift away when youre reading something, to finish a page of reading and suddenly realise that you have no memory of what youve just read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

^^ yeah what he said. Also before u open the books on a certain topic, get out a sheet and write down what you already know bout the subject to get ur mind going. THen go through your notes and fill in the gaps. Always try to be active, dont just read reams and reams of info, write down key points as you come across them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

There's many books on study techniques in your local library. Read a few and apply those techniques and you'll be fine. There's a lot of trouble and hard work getting into those habits. If you can get into them though, you'll have a skill than many people lack in life. :)

Good luck, and break everything down into chunks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Your feeling exactly like all leaving certs through the years (Well most anyway)

All the points mentioned above are good. If your really stuck basically remove all possible distractions give the power lead for the comp to someone till your finished studying,disconnect the net (I noticed my boards post count increase considerably during the leaving, but im convinced this board had a big part in my doing well, Thanks Seamus :) ). Anyway im getting off topic. A study timetable is a must but make sure you leave yourself enough free time and have space between the study blocks (timewise, not just on the page :) ) otherwise youll look at it and just say feck it I couldnt be bothered. And if your really feeling stressed take a day off, a day of doing no study can be great, though somewhat guilt inducing.

Good luck with it anyway, remember its only a year and itll be well worth it

Advertisement