Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper I

Options
  • 12-10-2003 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

hey does anyone have any tips for Paper I of the English exam, I mean I know hey its basically write write write but I mean how do you expand your points to the full extent without going off the point etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Read
    Everytime you read a book your writing will get slighlty better, and practice.
    Try writing a journal to yourself every day, just take 10 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Watch the outer limits on sci-fi channel, man those shows always give me great ideas for essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

lol really? cool... i usually start spouting some surrealist crap then scrap it and work on the report instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I really have no idea how I ever managed to do Paper I. For the Leaving Cert, I did exactly the same thing I had always done before, walked in with a blank slate and wrote whatever smartey sounding, but utterly fake irrelavant garbage came to my head. I never practiced Paper I, I didnt learn essays, or practice writing them but simply approached paper 1 as an excercise in common sense. Some trivial questions on some articles that you read, followed by a little story/discussion on a subject of your choice.

Thats all it is right? But I feel guilty treating it for what it really is, because despite how simple I can make it sound.. its very very difficult (the essay part especially) when you have (or think you have) little or no imagination :/ But what can you do?

I still dont understand how I always managed to make it all click on the day, and write something that didnt look like complete tripe without the freedom to think, format and edit it nicely like I do with a pc (and type nice and fast).

The paper was always a paradox to me, and it still is. I walk into it completely dreading the 2hr 50min, but walk out always having accomplished something in some unique form or another, something at which I cringe upon re-reading, but which ultimately did the job.

Well, thats the only way I see Paper I. Perhaps there are effective ways to prepare yourself and practice for it, but of course I was always really really lazy and HATED english with a vengeance, so it's probably not a good idea to take any leaves out of my book. In fact.. just forget I said anything, but seeing that Im after typing all this now, I might as well post.

Advertisement