Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking a Barton 2500

Options
  • 12-10-2003 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard so much about how the AMD 2500+ XP with Barton core overclocks great, and I've upped the multiplier to 12x 166 and have a 2083mhz running speed now.

I have a NF7-M Mainboard, with 2700 DDR333 ram running in a dual config.

What settings should I select in the bios to get the maximum clock speed out of this (Temps are 45 core 35 case at 0% load, 52-3 core 39 case at 100%)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I just clocked my 2500barton by increasing the fsb from 166 to 200. That give me a nice 2200mhz speed. I have same mobo as u but version s. Only down fall of my computer is that i have only pc2100. I can clock it up 2 2300mhz but it is very unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What temps do you get, and is it safe to OC the FSb with only 333mhz ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey, the Barton Xp2500+ is indeed a good overclocker.
    You should post your Cooling and Power supply details as they are very important with overclocking.

The newer bartons are running at lower temps than the old ones. With the NF7 try to keep the load temps under 58 degrees, thats pretty much the limit IMO for running the chip 24/7.

Depending on the chip (and cooling) you will prob have to increase your Vcore voltage to get it stable at 2.2ghz. If you want to set your FSB to 200mhz use the 6:5 Ram divider and your memory will run at 166mhz (DDR333).

Set your Vcore to 1.7v in the BIOS as the Abit NF7 undervolts by .05v , this will mean your chip is getting the "stock" voltage (1.65v) as intended.

To see if your system is stable download 'Prime95' and run the torture test for 6-12hours. It is the best program for stability. Sisandra and that arent great at all.

Anymore Questions Gimme a shout....

[PS] Mobo temps of 39 degrees is a little warm TBH, any case fans at all?

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Giblet,

This might be useful to you (for comparisons etc):

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

Select your CPU and it'll give you a list of overclocks submitted by others.

But yes, you'll need to up the fsb, just do it a bit at a time until it becomes unstable then lower it one at a time till you reach stable but fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have one case fan blowing onto the cpu, and one extractor on the bottom of the PSU with an exhaust on the back.

I plan on getting a second fan for the back extracting air, and one at the front blowing over the HDD and the Mobo, should this be sufficient.

I tried 200mhz FSB ay 6:4 (no 6:5)
    So my ram was at 320MHz, and a 11x Multiplier, it gave two beeps when starting, and nothing showed on the screen. If this happens three times in a row on the NF7, it resets the bios back to 1100mhz :)

I set it all back and it works at 1833 again.

I might try a lower FSB (180 ish) and see what ratio works best after I get my case fans.

I can get it to 2800 speeds with just the multiplier and it worked playing Quake3 Test demos for a few hours (100% CPU load), and it heated up to 52.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ive an Abit KD7(KT400), how well can I expect the 2500+ to overclock on this mb?

I had a poor experience with my 1800+ TBred, an extra 100-160 mhz is all I could muster (stable), dispite my many, MANY efforts.

If I could get my 1800+ up further (2700+ etc etc) I wont be buying a new chip. Ive seen articles in which it was done quite easily.

Did you up the Vcore voltage at all? It sounds like the CPU is the problem, not getting enough voltage.......

I wouldnt go over 1.825v in the BIOS, before that point it is still very much safe and will not reduce your CPU life...... provided your temps are ok that is.

Try setting your Vcore to 1.8v and try those settings??

The NF7 will reset its BIOS to default if there is a problem anyway. I usually unplug the power cable from the back and leave it for 2 mins and boot again. Its pretty much fool proof :) , ive tried many a stupid thing when i was starting (or drunk) and never a problem.

To check if the FSB is a problem set the multiplier to say.... 7 and the FSB to 200mhz , Ram divider 6:5. See if it boots ok - it should.

Try setting the multi to 10.5 (2100mhz) , see how much Vcore that will need.

Try setting the multi to 11 (2200mhz :)), see how much Vcore that will need (im thinkin around 1.775v - 1.8v) .

Run Prime95 to check your stability............

I have the NF7-S and An Xp2500+ myself , great setup for overclocking - have mine running 225FSB @ 2480mhz water cooled :D .

I had a poor experience with my 1800+ TBred, an extra 100-160 mhz is all I could muster (stable), dispite my many, MANY efforts.

Have overclocked with the KD7 and it seems to be a pretty good board IMO. It unlocks the Higher level multi's which is a big advantage if you are keeping a low FSB.

Can you tell me the code on your Xp1800+ ?? I take it its not a palimino so its prob a Tbred A , which has been know to be a bad overclocker. The Tbred B Xp1800+ will hit between 2.1 - 2.6ghz depending on wheather its a DUT3C or a DLT3C.

The Xp2500+ would prob give you a nice overclock, and the extra cache is a nice advantage aswell. Make sure you have good cooling and PSU. The Board will prob hit max 180mhz FSB, i didnt really check it to well. Most Pc2700 Ram will hit that with a little more Vcore and looser timings.

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

COL_LOKI,

Could you give me some info on your water cooling setup ?
    Im planning to buy this from hitide :

Complete-Kit innovaSET XXD(A) Socket A Dual-Radiator
    http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_22_37/products_id/181

Iv got a barton 2800+ and 1Gig of pc 2700 crucial ddr ram.

what kinda clocking would i be able to get out of this ya think ?
    o and iv got an Abit KD7 mobo aswell

Also what does this ( 6:4 ) etc. mean,iv seen it in the bios but dunno what it is.

Thx.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Giblet

My cpu temp is abour 51c when on full load. And the inside case is about 33c. This is full load and i have the computer clocked running at 2200mhz, I used 200fsb x 11. Never touched my vcore yet if it works ill let it alone. Only realy play BF1942 with max grapics and BFDC mod.

Also i have not added any more fans onto my computer. Just have stock cooling but my bedroom is kind of cold so that helps keep temp down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Originally posted by COL_LOKI

I have the NF7-S and An Xp2500+ myself , great setup for overclocking - have mine running 225FSB @ 2480mhz water cooled :D . [/B]

Hi Loki
    I am thinking af getting a barton 2500 also instead of my xp1800 @ 1800 mhz
    I have the Nf7-s 1.1 board which is kind of crap i know, which one do you have and what setting do u use for mem and FSB?

Since i have some really nice water cooling i would not think 2400 Mhz should be any problem although i have not water cooled my chipset yet...

Could you give me some info on your water cooling setup ?

I have the Innovatek XXS water cooling kit which i bought from HiTide. I have a single Rad with 2x 120mm fans one on each side. One running full and one variable via a controller in the PCI slot.
    Its a fantastic kit im really happy with it, have ran my other barton Xp2500+ at 2.05v with low temps.

Im currently running my Xp2500+ @ 2480mhz @ 1.87v which is a big credit to the cooling.

Its all mounted inside a sonata case and is pretty nice and quiet. The pump makes no noise at all the only thing you hear is the 120mm fan.

That kit your thinking of has the same components as mine except it has a dual rad. The instructions are brilliant.... i would reconmend this kit to anyone.
    Iv got a barton 2800+ and 1Gig of pc 2700 crucial ddr ram.
    what kinda clocking would i be able to get out of this ya think ?
    o and iv got an Abit KD7 mobo aswell

The older bartons run quite hot which wont be a problem with your cooling. The KD7 unlocks the higher level multis so that wont restrict you at all. You should be looking at 2.4ghz - 2.5ghz depending on how much Vcore you give it.

Also older bartons tend to get unstable with high Vcore so it wont pass prime (around 1.9 - 1.95v) , the newer ones run cooler and love the voltage (2v + is no problem) .

Also what does this ( 6:4 ) etc. mean,iv seen it in the bios but dunno what it is.

This is the FSB : Ram ratio. Ie if your FSB is @200mhz and your Ram is suppose to run at 166mhz (DDR333) you would use the 6:5 divider which would run your FSB at 200mhz and your ram at the intended 166mhz.

Loki

I am thinking af getting a barton 2500 also instead of my xp1800 @ 1800 mhz

Im guessing that Xp1800+ is a Tbred A or Pali which arent good overclockers at all. With a good water cooling setup and a good PSU people are pushing the Xp2500+'s to 2.4ghz or possibly 2.5ghz. The newer bartons are more overclock friendly and would definetly be worth your while getting one.

The new Xp2600+ Barton is just out and is set to replace the Xp2500+ , its brand new and i have heard nothing about how it overclocks but i would imagine it is kickass. (available on www.komplett.ie )

www.excaliberPC.com will give you a guarenteed Xp2500+ Aqxea which is a solid overclocker. They will deliver to ireland for €12.

www.cpucity.co.uk have prob the newest and best overclocker the Xp2500+ Aqzfa , its suppose to be a beast in most cases. People getting 2500mhz on air which is madness. As always you will get good and bad ones..... with the aqzfa its very rare at the min but results are looking good. Im not sure if cpucity deliver to ireland but id try em....

Even older bartons would hit 2.3ghz no probs, 2.4ghz a little harder, 2.5ghz is great to get :) .

I have the Nf7-s 1.1 board which is kind of crap i know

I have the NF7-S V2.0 and i love it. I know your board will prob not post over 180Mhz FSB (ish) but it still has PCI and AGP locks which is nice to know. The board is still very stable and unlocks the higher level multi's as standard. Make sure you have a good PSU as this is also a big part of 2.4-2.5ghz mark :D .

Loki

Advertisement