Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive cloner

Options
  • 12-10-2003 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

I'm lookin to clone my 80 gig HD and am wondering if anyone knows of a quick easy and preferably free or nearly free utility to do a byte-for-byte copy of the HD and it's structure.

Reason is 'cos I wanna work on the copy to see how to re-gain access to a partition without too much worry of losing 12 gigs of data/mail etc.

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Not free but Norton ghost might be the answer...

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i think ghost only copies the files over, if you can't find the neither can it, unless the partition is marked as hidden.....

i guess your problem is the winxp is after marking a previous windows install as hidden, same happened to me,(twice), it can be easily fixed by using partition magic to unhide it, files were fine

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by tlachta
    i think ghost only copies the files over, if you can't find the neither can it, unless the partition is marked as hidden.....

With ghost you can copy a disk or a partition with the structure, for example you can copy a partition to another partition with a different size (as long as the datas fit on the new one).

If create an image, there's also a software to browse the image, you can then copy files...

Raphael

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which OS / File system ???

eg: if win98 and FAT32 you can open a dos box
    attrib -s -h -r +a c:\*.* /s
    xcopy c:\*.* d:\*.* /s /h /r /d /c /m
    reboot into dos prompt and then
    xcopy c:\*.* d:\*.* /m
    and finally SYS D:

If NTFS and NT (or possibly 2k/xp) you may be able to mirror the drives - then break the mirror when they have synched...
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/tips.shtml#FTWorkstation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

just on a similar note, i'm looking for a program to take a snap shot of my system, cuz i've decided that its time that i do a full system restore and so when i have it finished and all nice i wanna take a "snap-shot" as it were of my system all nice and cleaned up so that i won't have to be installing all the stuff again. any one know of software for this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oneweb states in his original post
    to re-gain access to a partition

the partition is corrupt, he wants to copy it before trying to repair it, if windows can't access it nither can ghost (unless its marked hidden like i said earlier, or its an ntfs partition and the os is on win9x/me)

that site that bedlam posted is the way to go oneweb

suppfly -

why do you want to do a restore if you like it the way it is.

anyway this would be the best way

export favourits/emails/contacts to my documents folder
    burn to cd
    collect all downloaded stuff to one folder,
    burn to cd

format the drive

install a legal(ish) o.s.

install any software you might use in the near future, dont go crazy

Advertisement