Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete eircom.net email address

Options
  • 13-10-2003 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Righty,

I set up an eircom.net email address & posted it on a webpage recently. Now that address is getting ridiculous volumes of spam (spam started arriving within 18 hours of the addy being posted on the page!), so I want to delete the email address & set up another one.

OK so I can remove the addy from my mail client, but then the pop3 account will just fill up with muck. Is anyone aware of how to actually remove the account from eircom.net so that email sent to it will just bounce back as 'address not found' ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 meme

The best thing to do is to ring eircom and tell them that you dont want the e-mail address anymore or that you want to change it to a new one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Let it fill with junk because AFAIK when the server registers that the account has not been accessed in a set number of days it will either delete the account or reject mail sent to it until its checked.

EDIT:
    Forgot to add - next time, if you've got access to PHP or Perl on the web server you might be better off using a form to send mail to your account (Not a mailto: tho!!!) - that way they won't see you address until/if you reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by seamus
    PM sent :)
    Not going to share it with the rest of us? :)
    dod, if you don't use it for a certain amount of days (90 I think), they automatically disable them.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Its 30 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Where does it say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It automatically disables all accounts after 90 days.

They never get deleted tho afaik. Ring 1550 233 233 if you want it reactivated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My experience, I left an eircom.net address fill with spam for 6 months and it was still active. why would they bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Hey, a search threw this up from 11 years ago. But I have the same question now.
    My Eircom address in becoming choked with spam and I just want to get rid of it. Idontwant to just abandon it as people who might email me wouldn't know. I haven't been an eircom customer with years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

One way is to get a gmail address
    In the gmail settings get gmail to forward your eircom.net email address to your gmail address

Xantia wrote: »
    One way is to get a gmail address
    In the gmail settings get gmail to forward your eircom.net email address to your gmail address

And then I get all the spam via Gmail?
    I have set up a gmail account as an alternative and started using - I've been trying to set it up as a POP account in Outlook but that's another story.
    I just want to disable the eircom one - there must bd a way??

Well this is a blast from the past.
    fixie fox wrote: »
    Gmail's spam filters are pretty good, I collect an old Yahoo email address via Gmail and it filters out the spam fine.
    Assuming you know the password/security information etc. ring them and ask them to disable the email address, it used to be possible for them (i.e. tech support) to do it at least - I'm not sure what the case is now though.

I have set up a gmail account as an alternative and started using - I've been trying to set it up as a POP account in Outlook but that's another story.

Very rarely would you get spam in a Gmail account.
    Plus you do not need to download the email(s) to your PC and save them, they are in the cloud.
    It's up to yourself of course.
    Best of Luck

Well this is a blast from the past.

Gmail's spam filters are pretty good, I collect an old Yahoo email address via Gmail and it filters out the spam fine.

Assuming you know the password/security information etc. ring them and ask them to disable the email address, it used to be possible for them (i.e. tech support) to do it at least - I'm not sure what the case is now though.

I tried 'ringing' at one stage but as I don't have an account with them (as in paying them for phone/broadband etc) I couldn't make any progress

Xantia wrote: »
    Very rarely would you get spam in a Gmail account.
    Plus you do not need to download the email(s) to your PC and save them, they are in the cloud.
    It's up to yourself of course.
    Best of Luck

I live out in the sticks with very poor connectivity - so the 'cloud' wouldn't be a great solution.

I tried 'ringing' at one stage but as I don't have an account with them (as in paying them for phone/broadband etc) I couldn't make any progress
    Does the tech support number (probably a premium number) not go straight through to them anymore? Just set it up in Gmail if you can't contact them.

I live out in the sticks with very poor connectivity - so the 'cloud' wouldn't be a great solution.

If you have very poor connectivity it is all the more reason to use an online account like gmail where you do not have to download the email to keep it on your pc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hey, a search threw this up from 11 years ago. But I have the same question now.
    My Eircom address in becoming choked with spam and I just want to get rid of it. Idontwant to just abandon it as people who might email me wouldn't know. I haven't been an eircom customer with years.

That doesn't make it okay to dig up such ancient threads. Start a new one or just contact Eircom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement