Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeworld 2 the aftermath

• 13-10-2003 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I had great fun beating this game, although I must admit I found some of the levels extremely difficult (had to resort to bitch tactics to overcome some of them). The story was good, the music was excellent and the battles were a joy to watch.

What did ye think?
    The Majukk ship with ~26,000 damage was amazing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Although I may start sounding like a broken record, I found this way too easy. I played Cataclysm again just before this (both on Hard) and Cataclysm was a longer lasting and more rewarding game (more difficult too).

HW2 was good, but over before it really started. Cataclysm had a better ending to its story too.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

The HW series is by far one of if not the best RTS series ever.

That said, there are alot of elements in HW2 that you either love or hate. The reactive AI has been too hard for most, but too easy for some depending on how each person plays the game.

I like that there is now more diversification in units on both sides. Too often the Kushan and Taiidan felt like they same fleet but with different models.

Cataclysm remains my favourite of the series, and stands testament to how a b-movie plot works best in the interative entertainment industry (eg half-life).

As mentioned above, the music was just incredible throughout. But didn't have the impact that Agnus Dei (vocal 'Adagio for Strings') had in the first Homeworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Homeworld 2 is only really difficult when your put into a situation where your heavily outnumbered and have to continually supliment your fleet with more ships. In these situations you need lots of credits and cruisers/shipyards, some of which are not always forthcoming...

otherwise its a very short easy game! and the conlusion is a total anticlimax, i wont spoil it but from the outset i thought you were looking for God! How wrong I was...

Cataclysim on the other hand was one set of 'Oh ****' moments to the next, great fun and a fullfilling storyline.

I really liked the heavily armed mothership in Cataclysm. The blast cannon that you just "stick" on was very cool.

HW2 went the other direction. Instead of making motherships more capable and useful, they introduced a new one (the Shipyard) that basically cant move!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Yes, I also disliked the whole idea of the mothership basically being a large shipyard/resource centre. It moved exceptionally slowly, and was useless against any type of ship except for the fighter and in some circumstances corvette class ships.

I played Homeworld Cataclysm, but never got around to finishing it (I wish I had devoted more time to it though - it was a class game), and found the gameplay almost identical with this one. I cleared Homeworld 2 within a week, and except for one very difficult mission (
    Level 12 I think - Makaan arrives with several battlecruisers that rip large chunks out of your capital ships
    ) I found it relatively easy.

My next goal is to learn how to play as the Vagyr properly. I don't think they've got the same flexibility as the Hiigaran forces, but a few of their units and special abilities (eg hyperspace gates) could make for some interesting tactical scenarios.

I wish I could play it online, but on a petty 56k, I don't think my connection would be good enough :/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I liked it but it felt more like another expansion pack than a new game. I love the series too but the graphics were only a little better, the gameplay was the same, the AI wasn't impressive at all (as was said it was only challenging on the levels where you are completely outnumbered (Mission 12 for example)), the story had promise but from the get go was ludicrous (3 cores? hello? way to go changing the rules of their game universe (that's in the trailer so no spoilers)) and it was way too short.
    I guess I just made it sound like I hate it, I don't, it's good fun, just not as good as I hoped it would be after all this time to evolve from the brilliance of HW1 and Cataclysm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I struggled on level 12, because I brought a relatively tiny armada into the level. I used to enjoy resource collecting, building my fleet and grouping my men in Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm.

On the last mission, I restarted twice
    just so I could save every single Higaran on the planet
    Aren't I nice? (sad?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Some bigger multiplayer maps would also be nice, even the six player maps are pretty small and some big fleets in formation take up a lot of space!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm disappointed, it looks and plays like a add-on for the original Homeworld ... and I do agree that the original soundtrack was better .... I dont hold with that middle-easterny type moaning going on in the background .... I never got Homeworld : Cataclysm .. I'll have to find a copy...
    I think the big explosions are cool, as well as the general look of all the different ships, most are a lot more defined .... but they are basically the same as the ships in the game from 2 years ago(?, maybe more) ...

As for how hard the game is ... it depends on your style of play alright, I found it tough going, but I'm hardly what you would call a master tactician ... more of a defensive type player, i think you have to be a lot more aggressive with this game, kill off their carriers early and it would be a cakewalk .... those bloody founder ships are a pain in the ass ... I'd LOVE to have had just one of those babies in lev 12

It also annoyed me that the Bentusi
    insisted on killing themselves and/or fleeing in HW:Cataclysm and HW2. In both instances my fleet was winning, but oh no, lets blow ourselves up and take half our allies fleet with us.

For such an intelligent and ancient race, it just didnt seem dignified.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

heh ... yeah .,.. they should be called the bentusi suicide squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by BigEejit
    .... but they are basically the same as the ships in the game from 2 years ago(?, maybe more)
    4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I found the first too way too hard for me. Just couldn't get used to the 3D. Too much Starcraft I think.

Maybe I should check this out sounds more like my level of challenge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

I enjoyed it. But I have to say, for 3 days play, it wasn't really up to scratch.
    Although I absolutely love the game play and everything about it, it just wasn't hard enough. If you have any tactical nous about you, it shouldn't be that hard at all.

Advertisement