Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend me a DVD Burner

• 13-10-2003 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Was looking at DVD Recorders on Komplett.

Want the best I can get for less than 200 Euro. What are your recomendations and why ? Compatibility with as many formats as possible required, the faster the drive also the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I recently purchased the above drive Ste- recommended and would agree with him. Found it very good so far and extremely quiet as well. Burns both - and + at 1x-4x.

Overclockers.co.uk have it for under 140 euros http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

But where do u buy your Blank dvd's?
    What the best price around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Komplett have the bulk version for about 147 and the retail for about 30 more. I think I'll go for the bulk one.

Good point on the discs though. Say for example I want to put a movie on a blank, which are the best CD's for it, to maintain compatibility with living room type DVD players - or + R ???

Also the cheapest place to get them (specifically ones compatible with this burner, it appears that many early firmware versions struggled with different media types). (Factor in postage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

DONT BUY THE NEC!!! I did and found it was very picky with the media that you use. I sent it back and bought the Pioneer A06 (DVD-/+R) from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk. They have it on sale now for £99STg in VAT. Superb bunch of people to deal with as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

I recently bought this model from komplettis and have to say a nice piece of kit

hasnt failed to burn on any media i tried

as for which media is best for copying DVD to view on your standalone DVD

depending on when you bought it the DVD-r seems to work with no problems if it is a new DVD player + or - r's will work ok

LG DVD-recorder IDE GSA-4040B, Retail
    "Super-Multi" DVD+R/RW/DVD-R/RW/RAM

DaveG,

What discs did you use with it ?

Also, how long did delivery take ?

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    DaveG,

What discs did you use with it ?

Also, how long did delivery take ?

Presuming your talking about discs with the Pioneer everything bar Bulpack Orange have worked so far. Tis an excellent writer tbh. Delivery from SVP (blankdiscshop) takes about 5 days. They are an excellent retailer. For example I bought a bad batch of discs (pack of 50 DVD-R's). They sent me 4 sample discs to make sure it wasnt the writer (free shipping - discs were worth £10stg - all for free). The asked me to post back the discs & credited me with shipping costs. I ordered replacement discs with free shipping.

Afaik a lot of the NEC problems have been iorned out with firmware releases but why risk it. Go for the Pioneer.

I am thinking of the Pioneer then, plus 25 Ritek Orange DVD-R to get me started. Have you used them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Originally posted by xzodia
    I recently bought this model from komplettis and have to say a nice piece of kit

hasnt failed to burn on any media i tried

as for which media is best for copying DVD to view on your standalone DVD

depending on when you bought it the DVD-r seems to work with no problems if it is a new DVD player + or - r's will work ok

LG DVD-recorder IDE GSA-4040B, Retail
    "Super-Multi" DVD+R/RW/DVD-R/RW/RAM

The 4040B is a nice bit of kit, I too got it from Komplett and i've only had the one problem and that was when i upgraded the firmware (when burning CD's at DAO, it messes up at the end, dunno if thats my discs or not but switch to track at once and it worked fine), but after the firmware upgrade i noticed DVDs skipped when playing on the PS2 (they worked fine before), went back to the previous firmware and worked fine again.

Even burns cheap-ass media well (although this has to be done at 1x, but either that or fork out stacks for blanks!).

Yup, 4040B is one i'd recommend, it's just a little over €200 last i checked, but worth every penny.

Nero

• Advertisement

I am thinking of the Pioneer then, plus 25 Ritek Orange DVD-R to get me started. Have you used them ?

Is that the bulkpac orange because they are the discs I had problems with.

Go for the datawrite yellow which are cheaper and also write at 4X.

No, the ritek is about 10quid more expensive and is rated to work with all burners on the site as far as I can see.

However, you reckon those yellow ones are good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

The 4040b is down to 193 euro now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

can get lg 4040b for 170 euro off jes-computer.de for about 170 euro incl. delivery http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=114_88
    . but the lg does not have good media compatability from owners reviews. i might go with the pioneer myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

I use a pioneer 104 for over 2 yeARs now with ritek go3's silvertop which with hacked firmware burn at 2x. An excellent combination with a ps2!! Not a coaster in a year. About 500 quality disc, between games and movies

No, the ritek is about 10quid more expensive and is rated to work with all burners on the site as far as I can see.

However, you reckon those yellow ones are good ?

Yes I've used the yellows and they burned fine.

Good stuff, thanks lads, Based on Joc's and DaveG's experiences Pioneer and either those yellow disks or Riteks it is then...

Advertisement