Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon charging for unterminated calls ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If Commreg wont act, its time to send it to the ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom have in the past, on several occasions, "accidentally" enabled the mailbox on my account. Was terribly hard to get rid of it, too. This was a while ago now, just thought I would mention it. So much for the customer requesting the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What a cop-out from ComReg on the call answering saying that the customer needs to activate it.

ComReg should order Eircom to activate any call answering facility that is added to a customers line. By "activate" I mean so that the caller can leave a message to a generic mailbox. It will then be the responsibility of the customer to check their messages and to customise their mail box with their own greeting if they so wish.

Eircom are having their cake and eating it. It would seem that they don't activate the mailbox in case the customer isn't aware of they have it and are paying for it (avoiding compalinst from customers finding out that they have urgent messages on a voicemail they didn't know they had) and then they charge the caller for the terminated call.

Incidentally, Eircom give you damn all information on setting up your mailbox (especially) the default password which probably explains why so many mailboxes are "unactivated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

What Ombudsman can I go to ?

Anyon fancy joining me in complaining about the practice to Comreg/eirom

wexfordman

Originally posted by wexfordman
    What Ombudsman can I go to ?

Anyon fancy joining me in complaining about the practice to Comreg/eirom

wexfordman

The Ombudsman

You will have to exhausted all avenues of complaint with Comreg before going to her.

From the Ombudsman website:
    Before you contact the Ombudsman you must first try to solve your problem with the public body concerned. If you fail to resolve your problem and feel the body concerned has not treated you fairly, contact the Ombudsman.

• Advertisement

SkepticOne,

I have taken your "response" to comreg, and bastardised it a little (hope you dont mind), and sent it on. The said in the previous email to me that "ComReg does not therefore propose to pursue this matter further", but still I'm going to give one last try before the Ombudsman.

Just looking over her response, she never really answered any of my questions, I.E:-

1) Is the reason for the charge due to technicall issues ?
    2) What do other operators do in this instance ?

Anyway, below is my final attempt with Comreg, (sarcasm blended with humbleness confuses people into pity sometimes)

"Ms $%$%$,

Thank you for your reply. However while I appreciate I may be getting a little irritating at this stage, also from your comments below, I understand and accept that you will not be taking this matter any further. If this is the case, I will be proceeding to the ombudsman. As a last resort however, as I feel the essential point has been missed, and I may not have been putting my complaint forward in the correct manner. Can you please respond to the following:-

1 ) Why do Eircom need to notify other callers that the called party have ordered CAS (and charge for this)? In this instance, money is being taken but no service is being supplied.

2 )Ordering CAS is simply an entry in a database. It would make far more sense for Eircom to take the order but not modify the line until the CAS has been fully activated.

3 )Is there any technical reason why a recorded message (which is charged) is played? What the customer ordering CAS would normally expect is that the line would continue to behave in the normal way (continue ringing if unanswered, or present the engaged signal if in use) until the CAS service is activated.

4) You did not advise as per my previous response, what the procedure for other operators within Ireland, and the UK is for CAS, and do they charge/or answer calls on lines with CAS which has not been activated (whether by the cust or eircom is irrelevent).

Again, I know I am probably being a bit irritating at this stage, but I would like to take this as far as possible with yourselves before approaching the ombudsman.

Regards,
    £$£$£%^%^%^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Ombudsman will have a lot of complaints about Comreg on her desk over the next while methinks. Its not before time, Comreg are grossly inept when required to uphold the interests of the consumer, I have frequently advocated complaining to the Ombudsman.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Anyway, below is my final attempt with Comreg,

Thats a very good letter. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

SkepticOne,

I have taken your "response" to comreg, and bastardised it a little (hope you dont mind), and sent it on.
    Bastardise away. :)

Times up comreg, just gone to the ombudsman and the odca (not sure if they will deal with it).

Lets see waht happens now. Sorry if im boring anyone, no chance of broadband for me, so I have to occupy myself with more menial matters.

Wexfordman

• Advertisement

Did commreg even reply to your last letter?

Nope, not even an acknowledgement that they received it.
    Wexfordman

Interesting development on this one.

I've been mulling (stewing actually) away at this wondering where to go next, seeing as Comreg stopped answering my emails and refused to deal with the complaint, and the Ombudsman said Comreg were not their remit.

I said I'd chance an email to Dermot Ahern. Got a pretty quick response asking for more info saying they would look into it, so I've just replied to them giving copies of all the correspondence with Comreg (and posting a link to this thread, as it gives a little more info on the problem).

Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

Interesting development on this one.

I've been mulling (stewing actually) away at this wondering where to go next, seeing as Comreg stopped answering my emails and refused to deal with the complaint, and the Ombudsman said Comreg were not their remit.

I said I'd chance an email to Dermot Ahern. Got a pretty quick response asking for more info saying they would look into it, so I've just replied to them giving copies of all the correspondence with Comreg (and posting a link to this thread, as it gives a little more info on the problem).

Wexfordman

You should really chase up on the ombudsman. They are being silly over the whole thing.

Best of luck with Dermot Ahern

Well hopefully Dermot Ahern will sort out both the Comreg and the Ombudsman Issue. Nice man that he is...I'll certainly vote for him (he says knowingly that he posted link to this thread)....

Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would ask Dermot to inform the Ombudsman in the strongest possible terms that their oversight powers are still statutorily intact when it comes to doing some serious Ombudsing on the inept and useless Comreg.

M

Muck,
    Seeing as I posted them/him a link to this thread to show others also affected, I think you just told him yourself......:D

Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Unfortunately, it is very likely that Mr. Ahern can and will do nothing about this issue. He will maintain that both are independent regulators free from political influence and interference. I think most people will agree with approach.

This matter can be resolved very simply. The whole "haven't set up their mailbox" situation is only a recent development. As far as I recall, the mailbox was either active or inactive with no "inbetween" setting! If a customer orders Call Answering it should be automatically active and doing its job and the customer can customise it whenever they wish. It would take a simple instruction from ComReg to resolve this situation.

If a customer orders Call Answering it should be automatically active and doing its job and the customer can customise it whenever they wish. It would take a simple instruction from ComReg to resolve this situation.

The problem being Brian, that Comreg are'nt interested. They have no problem with the fact that Eircom are charging for me to listen to these irrelevent and annoying advertisements whcih generate revenue for Eircom. They said they have no problem with it (or more to the point, they repeated Eircoms response to me), and then said they consider the matter closed.

When I replied to them asking them to answer some of my origional questions, they did'nt even bother respond and I was stone walled. Comreg seem to accept eircoms riduculous answer that "its not Eircoms fault the customer has not activated the service which they ordered"

Have a look at some of the previous posts, particularly the ones with the responses posted from Comreg and then let me know what you think. I agree with you, the solution is simple, there is no technical reason why €IRCON should be allowed to do this, but they are cos Comreg wont stop them. So basically, you are using a service, where you have no gaurantee that you will be able to use the service properly, and you will then be charged to listen to a recorded €ircon announcement.

€ircon are in a win win situation here. The problem is that they probably have this process for the CAS service either because they are just incompetent or else cos they see that they can charge you for EVERY call you make to an inactive CAS. Which do you think is the more likely scenario ?

Whats worse is they are allowed to get away with it.

By the way, I had to reconnect 4 times to type this message, but thats the kind of service you get for the privelage of 24euros montly line rental!!!!! Dont get me started on that one, I pay rental for a crappy phone line that does'nt work.

Wexfordman

make that 5 times to reconnect.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement