Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

herald picture

• 13-10-2003 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

The cover of the Herald this evening has a picture showing an irish player, on the bench , throwing a bottle at a Swiss player.

What type of punishment should/could he get??
    (ps - I think he missed the player which says it all!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

he should be suspended.......

.....until he can learn to throw properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

It's Kinsella.

Don't think it'll make much difference to him. He's on borrowed time for Ireland and hasn't much future in the premiership either.

Maybe a fine for the FAI, failure to control players etc.

All depends on what the fourth official saw reallly i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shoot Him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

chop off his legs he might play better then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I was at the match, the Swiss player ran over to the Irish bench to celebrate in front of them. He's lucky it was only a water bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Small fine and a slpped wrist...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i wish all the irish players were this emotional when playing for us

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Was Rivaldo ever punished for his playacting against Turkey? I'm curious as a few Swiss players, particularily Stiel, were up to much the same thing towards the end of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He'l probably retire so it won't make much difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Throwing bottles is unnaceptable violent behaviour. A professional like kinsella should have more sense. The matter should be dealt with in accordance with UEFA or the FAIs disciplinary procedures. He`ll probably get a small fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well it just helped to complete the embarrasment dont you think? The team was outclassed on the pitch, showed little enough sportsmanship either and then rounded off the night by having Kinsella hurl bottles at an opposition player. I couldnt feel prouder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Stiel was bleedin fairly badly so i dont know why you think he was play acting. That lad who came on was tho. He sprang up once the referee walked over to him and then the Swiss expectd the Irish to give them the ball back. :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He was bleeding, so what. He got a bump on the head, but it didn't bother him in the slightest until he had checked that the ball was safely out of danger, then he suddenly went down in a ridiculously theatric manner as if he'd been punched in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He shouldn't be punished, and he won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by Bateman
    He shouldn't be punished, and he won't be.

It seems that he may get away without punishment but would you take the same view if a Swiss sub threw a bottle at Duff or Keane??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>It seems that he may get away without punishment but would you take the same view if a Swiss sub threw a bottle at Duff or Keane??

Yes. It's all meaningless. There are all these people who normally come out with anti-English tripe now coming out and lashing Alpay, it's all a little stupid and moralistic. Jesus, the lad obviously said something to the Irish bench. Kerr's reaction said it all. He looked shocked after it happened, but then said "calm down Mark", and resumed worrying about what was going on on the pitch. It's a silly smokescreen that is taking the heat off a disgraceful performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

fact is that duff nor keane would go and taunt the swiss bench after they scored....

well, maybe keane...

Originally posted by Bateman
    >It seems that he may get away without punishment but would you take the same view if a Swiss sub threw a bottle at Duff or Keane??

Yes. It's all meaningless. There are all these people who normally come out with anti-English tripe now coming out and lashing Alpay, it's all a little stupid and moralistic. Jesus, the lad obviously said something to the Irish bench. Kerr's reaction said it all. He looked shocked after it happened, but then said "calm down Mark", and resumed worrying about what was going on on the pitch. It's a silly smokescreen that is taking the heat off a disgraceful performance.

The thread was about an Irish player throwing a bottle at an opponent - I didn't mention Alpay, England or any anti-English tripe. You seem to be suggesting that because Kerr said "calm down Mark", that it excuses this type of crap behaviour - that's ridiculous. It's hardly moralistic to want Irish players not to behave like knackers when playing for Ireland.

The performance on Saturday was terrible, but how you can think that a discussion over what happened on the bench is a smokescreen is bizarre.

Originally posted by SCULLY
    It's hardly moralistic to want Irish players not to behave like knackers when playing for Ireland.
    Yes it is moralistic.:D ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eireboy
    Yes it is moralistic.:D ;)
    elaborate (please)

Originally posted by SCULLY
    elaborate (please)
    Just read your post above again and you will know what I mean.

It's hardly moralistic to want Irish players not to behave like knackers when playing for Ireland.

take out the no and it would be alright.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Maybe Kinsella just wanted to be like the rest of the players out on the pitch i.e. losing their bottle on the big occasion

But seriously, lets look at the evidence :
    1. Kinsella throwing a bottle at opponent
    2. Irish players not giving the ball back after an injury
    3. Breen cracking the goalies head open with an elbow

Yes we have a lot to be proud of there , don't we!

Losing is one thing, but totally disregarding the rules of the game just because you're being beaten off the park is another.

(and yes I know '2' isn't technically a rule - but it might as well be for how regularily it is employed in the modern game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

1. Frei came over to the Irish bench when he scored and told them to "**** off"

2. The guy (Streller) wasn't injured.

3. Accidents happen.

I think it's the Swiss who should be ashamed, they did nothing but play-act and waste time for the last half hour. There was no need for it, they were winning 2-0, and probably could have scored more if they felt like it.

Advertisement