Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate... the end

Options
  • 13-10-2003 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

anyone else seen the new slate is going to be that last. i can't say that everyone that reads this are going to be upset by this, i was probably the most hated piece of reading out of ireland since the Indo...:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Easily the best what's-on guide ever printed in Dublin. It will definitely be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Nah I definitely think that as far as hated publications go the void is filled by the Sunday Indo, not least due to the fabulous and talented O3 team.

god bless them every one.

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

i will miss it too. its ****in hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

aww, that's such a pity, it'll be sorely missed!

i always wondered, though, how they managed to get away with some of the stuff they printed!!!!

ah well, there goes yet another dissenting voice from the public sphere....

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

aw no. thats was great... kick the cat and the like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Kick the cat , what is that all about!!!!?

Slate (R.I.P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 perkythepig

Someone was telling me that they're continuing on and that the "Last ever issue" thing was just them having a laff...

We live in hope I guess...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One of the hang 'em high brigade (Sunday World or News OF The World, can't remember) was foaming at the mouth at the wekend over the Slate...hypocritical scum-sucking bast*rds.

They live on other peoples misery FFS...

At least the Slate is honest in its complete disregard for decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

am most anjived. best paper/rag/whatever around.

beats any other "newspaper" into the ground.

and dam funny too,at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hal L. Uja

Why???

The slate was surely making money, as far as I know it wasn't doing anything illegal. Why is it going?

Why oh why?

Oh well on the plus side my pretty extensive collection of back issues should now be starting to appreciate in value...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Hal L. Uja
    Why???

The slate was surely making money, as far as I know it wasn't doing anything illegal. Why is it going?

Why oh why?

because they are very, very lazy people. anyone i know that does stuff for the slate are the most lazy people in the world.

Yeah typical, when you think somebody is an activist with a mission and a point and dedication, they turn out to be a stoner who got bored....

Oh well I've hermetically sealed my best drugs in Dublin issue...

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    beats any other "newspaper" into the ground.

Ah mother of mercy let's keep a little perspective here.

If The Slate was your only source of "news" you would be one sad, bitter, disenfranchised, ill-informed, ignorant person. How is loking at photos of ugly people clubbing better than knowing what the government are planning next. Let's be realistic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

ah, but do we really know that those photos of ugly people clubbing AREN'T pictorial evidence of what the government is planning to do next?

think about it.

:f33r: hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

dear me tyrrial... anothe example of your poor taste...

the slate was a breath of fresh, well need, air.

If the Slate was lazy it's the best description of lazy i've ever seen.

talking s.hit? yes you are tyrrial...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Now now children, get in your corners!!

I cant see how the Slate is gonna pack it in, the new edition is printed in new glossy cover, do you think they would bother going to the expense of printing on this new stuff if they werent goin upmarket a bit.

I think they wil be back, maybe not as the Slate,

maybe The Rooftile??

The SLate is one of several magazines going to the wall in th last week or so. In Dublin and Magill (sister mags) are also gone due to lack of advertising.

I'm sure that's the cause of the Slates's demise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i'm surprised to say it, but when one's right, one's right;
    i agree with raggamuffin(starting to quetion the validity of my opinion now!)

no, i stadn by my statement.the slate beats the crap out of ANY tabloid paper and has more intersting non repetetive subject matter than any most papers.

and as for the whole "what the government areplanning next".thats crap!
    what difference does it make,they do it anyway.you're getting shafted whether you're told or not

the slate mentioned their(government) underhanded bollockry also!i'm not calling it a hugely factual zine; but read todays herald headline.pure muck.and thats supposed to be a "news"paper.

"go dump on glen hansards face"
    will be more use than reading any remaining "news"paper

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

I have the last edition at home. It's up to the usual standard.

The Slate is funny.

Funny ha! ha!

It also throws topics into the limelight without any of the agenda that are rampant in other publications.

But mostly its just funny.

Anyone who can't find humour in it should check for a pulse.

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    "go dump on glen hansards face"
    will be more use than reading any remaining "news"paper

That has to be the thickest statement I've heard all week. Seriously.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    talking s.hit? yes you are tyrrial...

Being a Grouchy Bítch? yes you are Raggamuffin.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cop the Fuck on like! no need to drag this thread down with pointless bitching and personal insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

yeah seriously. we should be united by our grief. in this tragedy, we can, somehow, find solace..but yeah, man that's atrocious..
    especially seeing as i cant find any of the new ones anywhere. at all. anyone know?
    they're glossy are they? then obviously the advertising revenue's gone up not down, &the fact that mcgill&in dublin have come to their inevitable and none too soon end is completely irrelevant, they're not exactly going to be sttracting the same type as advertising revenue as the slate.
    i love glen hansard, someday will marry him, but still that's funny. &a lot of people think he's an arrogant ass aswell so they're picking their people to **** on pretty well methinks..

surprised noone on here does any work(ish) for the slate that they could give us a definite..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I wonder if we'll ever see the words 'pox-bottle' and 'planter' used against a Trinity Student in print ever again?

Don't worry Tom - I'll use them. Readily. And with real gusto.

See ya tonight!

:)

F

Jeesus, why do people get so up in arms about politics when we're talking about the demise of the funniest satirical magazine to ever come out of ireland??

Yes the government are shafting you all over the place, but I made a point of not voting for the bastards as I'm sure did every other person with half a brain cell left and the slate weren't even anti government they were just anti everybody who they could get a good giggle out of slagging off. Now shut up arguing and put your mourning gear on, the streets of Dublin will be a considerably less amusing place for some time to come!

Anyone reckon it has anything to do with the Minister Killjoy Mixer McDowell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    i was probably the most hated piece of reading out of ireland since the Indo...:ninja:

yes you are

Originally posted by Shorty
    yes you are

Please see Amz's Post above....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Bitching and personal insults not being "allowed" on a thread about the slate. Irony is dead!

Advertisement