Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C/R & IL - what does that mean ???

• 13-10-2003 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I read an article on irelandoffline.org.

http://www.irelandoffline.org/home/staticpages/index.php?page=20030903212035303

In the comparision it gives a C/R rate (48:1) and an IL level.... and I just can not remember why I need to be so concerned about my IL as an on-line gamer.... or did I get something wrong again.

Probably a stupid question so please no digs...

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by TheDuke
    Hi guys,

I read an article on irelandoffline.org.

http://www.irelandoffline.org/home/staticpages/index.php?page=20030903212035303

In the comparision it gives a C/R rate (48:1) and an IL level.... and I just can not remember why I need to be so concerned about my IL as an on-line gamer.... or did I get something wrong again.

Probably a stupid question so please no digs...

The Duke : ))

Hi, that is my fault, IL is interleaving, I just didn't have room to fit the full word on the table.

Interleaving is something that is used on DSL to reduce packet loss, the higher the interleaving setting, the greater the error correction and therefore the less potential data loss. However many reports I have seen say that it doesn't really help on DSL and the side effect is that the higher the interleaving is set, then the higher your pings will be and this is bad for gaming.

So
    - Esat LLU uses no interleaving or fast path which gives it the lowest Ping speed (about 20ms), therefore the best for gaming.
    - RADSL uses a low level setting of interleaving thus giving you slightly higher pings (about 40ms)
    - Eircom/NS ADSL uses a high level setting of interleaving therefore giving you the highest ping speeds (about 60 - 80ms), this is not great for gaming, but bettter then dial-up (about 90 - 120ms).

C/R stands for contention ratio.

It means the number of people who share a certain amount of bandwidth. 24/1 is better then 48/1.

48/1 on RADSL seems to mean that 48 users share 512k of bandwidth.
    24/1 on ADSL seems to mean 24 users share 1m of bandwidth.

As you should be able to see from this, Esat LLU is the best DSL product for gaming in Ireland (and not just gaming, it is best for anything), unfortunately it costs e110 per month and is only available from 40 exchanges.

P.S. I must update that table, NS now have a 16GB cap on their SOHO service.

Advertisement