Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai 4wd

Options
  • 13-10-2003 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Any one any experience of Hyundai Santa Fe deisel 4wd?

What kind of mileage are they doing?

Considering a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Suzuki Grand Vitara at the moment, grand vitaras seem a bit cramped in the back (needs to accomdate kids etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If economy is a major concern, then bin the idea of an off-roader now. At best you might get mid thirties out of either of the 2 cars you've mentioned. Heavy vehicles with all the aerodynamic efficiency of a breeze-block!

A mid-sized diesel estate will give you more room, more comfort and significantly better fuel economy.

The only good reason to buy an off-roader is for regular towing of large loads, or for going off-road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dilbert_ie

I have a TDI octavia which delivers 57 - 63 mpg. The problem is that it takes an awful hammering on the roads ( I live in the country side)

A 4wd would offer a more robust suspension and ride than a saloon.

Any alternatives would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have a `00 Audi A4 Tdi. I too live in the countryside. Fantastic suspension and really lovely car. Brilliant value on fuel as well. Tbh I've heard the Hyundai Santa Fe isn't a great 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by dilbert_ie
    I have a TDI octavia which delivers 57 - 63 mpg. The problem is that it takes an awful hammering on the roads ( I live in the country side)

That's cause it's got a germanic style suspension (hard) - good car and exceptional value for money imho though
    Originally posted by Chimaera
    [BAt best you might get mid thirties out of either of the 2 cars you've mentioned. [/B]

That is only at a constant 47 mph on the M50 though - this will drop to low twenties at 4mph headwind :)
    Originally posted by dilbert_ie
    Any alternatives would be welcome

Perfect for your circumstances: Citroen C5. Was passenger in one there a few weeks ago on VERY dodgy roads in the Carlow / Kilkenny area and was very impressed with the ride quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

A 4wd would offer a more robust suspension and ride than a saloon.

The suspension may be more robust, but if won't ride any better than an Octavia. Off-roader suspension is heavier duty and not as compliant over small bumps especially as passenger cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement