Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a Philips DVD+RW ?

Options
  • 13-10-2003 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My video has given up the the ghost and i'm stuck between replacing it with another boring video or a Philips DVDR70
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/ce/catalog/product.jhtml;jsessionid=3RF04ZVSWVUBECRQNE2RYVAKGBUCWHD0?divId=0&groupId=VIDEO_GR&catId=DVD_CA&subCatId=DVD_RECORDERS_SU&productId=DVDR70_051
    (available on amazon.co.uk for €350)

So if anyone could shed any light on the following issues i'd be real grateful

i) what can't it do that my video could
    ii) what can it do that my video couldn't - particularly like the idea of not having to spend ages looking through a tape to see where i put 'the late late' (not!)
    iii) can i use a dvd+rw endlessly in the same way i would a VHS tape
    iv) i have a 29" Sony Trinitron, non-wide screen, will everything i record from tv be played back in widescreen, or will that only be pre-recorded dvd's e.g rented
    v) Is the +RW technology a safe buy, i.e. will i be stuck with something obsolete in a few years

Any other info is greatly appreciated

C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

you might want to read through this website....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Some other options for you. The Pioneer DVR-3100 which will record DVD-R & RW. Cheaper prices here for the Phillips.

You should also consider a hard disc recorder such as Tivo or sky +.

If you do go for the writer my opinion would be so long as it records RW (re-writable) discs you'll be fine. Not much of a difference in price between + and - formats. When your buying discs go to www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

Thats a good gadget Daveg.
    I've had the DVR7000 for over a year now and it's class.
    It doesn't have the timeslip recording function though.
    It's a must have, once you get used to having it and very handy.
    I have sky plus so thats where I've got used to live pausing and chasing live programmes, you literally pause( it records) make tea come back ten mins later and watch from where you left off while the machine records in front to the end of the programme and gives you a seam less watching of it.
    With Normal recorders of course you'd have to wait till the recoording is finished before watching all the programme.

mm

Advertisement