Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions from a newbie?

Options
  • 13-10-2003 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭

Right first off as I state in the sub im not an expert on hardware...but on the other hand i know how to get around a pc. I have just downloaded AIDA 32 to see if I could resolve some diffrences in temp figures on my cpu (Anyone who has not tryed aida I suggest u try it it's a nifty, feature crammed , free prog:D ). I normally use VCool to measure my cpu temp (XP1900+ @ Stock...nothing fancy), but just recentely I installed AsusPCProbe for my MB (A7V333) cause i was on a BIOS upgrade warpath:D therefore I got a lode of crap progs from Asus (If u own an AMD cpu GET VCOOL NOW , SUBTLE ENOUGH?:p ...na seriusly it reduces temp very well.).

Anyway now after an updated bios vcool reports CPU temp as 30-33 idle and Asus as 40-2 idle. Do any of you have a clue as to why this could be?, has it ever happened to any of you guys?. One more thing aida says my AGP aperture size is more then half of the system memory size and that could cause a slowdown... how do i change that in win2k??. If anyone knows or has experienced this before please give us an idea of why there are diff temps...before Vcool and pc probe were the same by the way. My previous idle temps were in the 36-38 range so both are giving odd figures...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

That program isint actually reducing your temps at all its just giving you crappy figures.

TBH you should only use temps as a guide when your overclocking, ie what your stock temps are and how much they rise when you overclock. Or for comparing with other people who have the same board.

Ive had a 7 degree decrease in load temps by swithing from an Abit NF7-S to an Asus A7N8X , same chip , same cooling , same voltage and settings............... The board readings arent accurate ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye I suppose but my problem is that before both programs gave the same results....now they dont so the upgrade must have done something to upset the two progs. By the way vcool does actually cool down an AMD cpu with the right chipset cause windows doesnt use the bus disconnect properly when in idle... So if u fit those criteria do try it it brings u down to ure idle temps pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Never heard of that before........

I have water cooling so idle temps arent a problem :D .
    Will keep an eye out .....

Advertisement