Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK vs Irish phone wiring question

Options
  • 13-10-2003 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

here's the problem :
    rather than run a bunch of wiring to put a 'phone line on my 2nd Sky Digibox I asked around and was given (by an uncle in the UK) a pair of wireless phone extenders that operate via the mains wiring.
    The digibox line test says ' line is busy ' when I use this adaptor. However I get a dial tone using a regular telephone and have made up a temporary extension lead between the 'phone socket and the digibox and sure enough the digibox connects ok. (much to my relief as I didn't fancy getting the damn thing repaired)

Looking at this site it says : In the UK, the line from the telephone exchange is terminated on pins 2 and 5, of the 6-way socket. In Ireland, the line from the telephone exchange is terminated on pins 3 and 4, which are the centre contacts of the RJ11 socket.

it looks like I need to make sure that the little adaptor from the BT-style socket to the Eircom-style (RJ11) socket/plus needs to take care of this cross-over.

Is this correct ? I don't mind making a small adaptor but need to be sure I've got it nailed before I start cutting wires....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

I'm pretty sure it's right. My girlfriend got a BT cordless phone but no Dial tone, I figured the problem was that the wiring is different in the UK so I disassembled the phone and tried different configurations and moving the 2 and 5 pins in the socket to 3 and 4, took a bit of bending but did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

got some good tips/advice here
    looks like the problem is in the wireless adaptor I'm using.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

start chopping up cables, thats what i would do. In ireland only the two inside wires in a rj11 cable are important and you can botch that up to the uk cable and see what works.

Advertisement