Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comparison

Options
  • 14-10-2003 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Just though I'd have a look at some of those lovely American machines earlier today.

It's startling to think what we are paying for our metal here in comparison to our West of the Atlantic "friends" .

I found that the retail price for a Dodge Dakota double cab pick-up jeep is $16,940 (€14,729).

From www.mitsubishicars.ie I see you can get a L200 Double Cab for €29000 , not sure if thats even on the road price .

Let me see what would we get in Ireland for €14k no lets round it off to €15k ...........

From Ford we could get one of those brand new Fiesta's , priced from €14,395 - €17,795. Or maybe even a top of the range Ford Ka they go from €12,214 - €15,816.

Any other suggestions for the money chaps ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The Yaris from Toyota starts at €14,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

That said, the build quality of the average American car is pretty sh*t. The American built Ford Focus has been subject to numerous significant safety related recalls, while the European built one has quite a good reputation for reliability. Same story for many other cars built there. There's a reason they're as cheap as they are.

On the flip side, cars here in Ireland are obscenely expensive due to VAT and VRT levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

VAT & VRT , the double tax we are being charged .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by tinofapples
    VAT & VRT , the double tax we are being charged .
    Don't forget the word illegal in that sentence!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kind of on the same topic..

A cousin of mine who lives in Canada bought a Lincoln Townie, the smaller version of the Lincoln Town Car last year. This car was loaded with every imaginable extra, leather, CD multichanger, all electric and a nice big 3.2 litre engine...

Now this is the size of a Mondeo/Vectra/Laguna class car...

How much do you reckon???

€19500... and a 3 year warranty..

sickening or what????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement