Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game On sez BT and Eircom.

Options
  • 14-10-2003 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The BBC has an Article on BT's strategy to increase BB penetration through emphasising Online Gaming over the next while.

We also noted that the RAT was retired by Eircom last week, all the replacement ads appear to be about Gaming and BB and not about the Rat getting windburn from him monitor.

ESAT have been courting Microsoft in Ireland and have 'packaged' 500 ESAT connections to their own 40 exchanges , including jollies for journalists.

All that is needed now is for MS and Sony to integrate a bit about online gaming into their pre-christmas advertising strategies, am I right in saying that a joint Eircom/Sony Playstation package may be in the offing once the current Eircom signup discount scheme is over in January ...... and an ESAT(IOL)/Xbox one as well or will these advertisements start in late October early November ?

MS and BT will be spending money in the UK but Sony and the Rat may have a spoiler in the offing here :D , watch this space.

M

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sony have already had a pretty impressive advertising campaign of their online game Navy Seals (or something like that), that ran for a few weeks.

So I definitely think we will see a massive increase in online gaming and bb.

I've been saying for the last two years that online gaming would become the most important driver for consumer bb. Ireland is now the top game playing country in the world (yes, we have actually overtaken Japan!!!), Irish people will love online gaming over bb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

This is defo going to rev up over Christmas. I think X Box Live launches on the 11th of November, I've been on the trials since June and its going to push those DSL orders. So let's hope the telco's here are ready :rolleyes:

I've spoken of the gaming potential at events in the past to furrowed brows and disbelieving suits, but I stick to my guns and thoroughly agree with bk, it's set to explode. Gaming is being lifted out of the solo activity, curtains drawn unsociable drawer into a wide open socially interactive pastime for the masses. Sunday league footie with your relocated mates in London and Paris is around the corner.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

by the way it is eircom and xbox that are going to be doing a pre christmas advertising campaign so esat will have to go after sony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

mmmmmh,

okayyyyy, on line gaming checklist....

fast pc ...check
    loads memory....check
    big foff screen....check

{looking good}

loads disk....check
    games....hl,dod,black hawk down,sof1 and 2,ordered callofduty, doom 3, hl2...check

{we are on the wayyyyy}

pizza,indian,chinese phone numbers...check
    tesco.ie for toiler paper and the odd vitamin...check
    dark curtains....check
    no life....check

{2 minutes!!!}

a telco that still has not enabled the switch and wont for 2 years, and cant get it cos i have their alarm....check...****

supersix four going down, we are going in, we have a bird down in the city....or town outside as it happens

it like running full tilt and wallop...a wall with the eircom logo on it and your blood and the odd tooth embedded...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

And those who still fail broadband can only go

SIGH

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

who ever get's the deal for sony be it either esat/eircom it will be a huge boost to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by shinzon
    And those who still fail broadband can only go

SIGH

Shin
    Yes, for you it is little comfort that those who only half wanted broadband before will now take it up in order to play on the xbox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Does this mean eircom will be considering turning fastpath on for its residential customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

This was on Silicon Republic site:

Microsoft broadband gaming partners boxed off

15.10.2003 - Eircom, Esat BT and NTL have been selected to take part in the Irish segment of an eight-country European broadband launch of the new Xbox Live online gaming service.

The service aims to provide the gaming community with always-on high-speed broadband games. Some 22 telecoms and internet service providers across Europe have been chosen for the eight-country launch and will be joined with 50 other broadband providers in North America and Japan.

Eircom and Esat BT will be providing the service over DSL, while NTL will be offering the service to its cable customers.

Microsoft’s current partnership with telcos in Europe will be expanded to include deals with France Telecom’s Wanadoo service to cover the Netherlands, Spain and the UK as well as adding Wind in Italy.

Xbox Live, currently available in the US, Canada, Japan, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the UK, is the most successful paid online gaming service with more subscribers than any competitive paid online gaming site, Microsoft has claimed.

Xbox is growing the online gaming community with Xbox Live. In less than 11 months Xbox Live, the dedicated broadband online gaming service, has taken off with more than 500,000 people playing on Xbox Live worldwide and participating in more than 15 million gaming sessions every week. Xbox Live is said to have hosted more games to date than the number of games played in the histories of the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball combined. Fifty Live-enabled Xbox games are expected by the end of this calendar year and 100 by the end of the 2004 financial year.

By John Kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

microsoft as far as i am aware are not that pushed about pushing the esat option as they only supply USB modems so to set up you have to be using ICS off your computer to get the xbox up and running. Apparently microsoft (well maybe just their employees) hate this as they have to support the ICS as it is off a microsoft OS but they think it is a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by santalives
    microsoft as far as i am aware are not that pushed about pushing the esat option as they only supply USB modems so to set up you have to be using ICS off your computer to get the xbox up and running. Apparently microsoft (well maybe just their employees) hate this as they have to support the ICS as it is off a microsoft OS but they think it is a pain in the ass.

I assume that EsatBT will offer a special XBox package with an ethernet modem.

EsatBT parent BT in the UK is going to offer a special pack with a multi-port (I assume 4 port) Ethernet router to allow you connect to an XBox and your PC at the same time, I assume EsatBT will offer the same in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
    loads disk....check
    games....hl,dod,black hawk down,sof1 and 2,ordered callofduty, doom 3, hl2...check

{we are on the wayyyyy}

How the hell can you talk about online gaming and list games and then you leave out the King, the absolute best totally unchallenged god of online gaming Counter-Strike.
    You need help :D, okay maybe I do too, but anyway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Muck
    and not about the Rat getting windburn from him monitor.

i'm sorry but ROFL :p:p

Advertisement