Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Box Home LAN

• 14-10-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I'm going to try to hook up a few x-boxes at home next weekend and have never done it before. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on a few issues.

If we are playing Halo over the three x-boxes and three TVs , do we need three copies of the game or just one running on the "server" X-box?

What is the best set up for hooking up the boxes? Is it best to use a switch or a hub? When using a switch or hub do I use cross wired cables or just normal cat5 cables to connect to the consoles?

Could anyone recommend any games? I have Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, Halo, MOH and RTCW and might rent another couple of games for the night.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You need a copy of the game in each Xbox.

Any hub will do the job fine - I doubt you'd notice any difference in performance using a switch - and when using an Xbox on a hub, you use straight-through cables rather than crossover cables, just like on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Thanks Shinji,

I guess I'll have to rent a couple of copies of the games to put in the other machines, still should be good for a laugh.

Maybe my cheap ass friends should buy some games of their own instead of borrowing mine all the time. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    Could anyone recommend any games? I have Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, Halo, MOH and RTCW and might rent another couple of games for the night.

As Shinji said standard hub, standard (PC) network cables. No set up involved.

Haven't done GR:IT or MOH but probbably will get around to it sometime, but if you do let me know. The big problem with RTCW is that it only allows one player per X-box, so at best you'll get 2vs2 which is a bit of a waste.

BruteForce is not great multiplayer, just didn't feel right.

Halo rocks. It so does, in fact I'd prob. not bother with anything else. The better maps are Battlecreek, Bloodgulch, Hang Em High and Sidewinder (v big though). Most of the game options are self explanatory, but the ones to avoid are Race and Rally. My personal faves would be Teamball and Teamking - the nice thing here is that you don't have to be a great player to play a significant part!

Anyway, did I mention how much Halo rocks?:D :D

I tried GR:IT last night and was v.p1ssed off to find that it only allowed one player per x-box as well.

Of course it took me a good 45 minutes of pissing about testing controllers and trying different things to realise it just wasn't going to happen.

Played for a while with two of us but the maps are huge so it just got boring in the end.

They really should say on the box if they limit the amount of players on system link.

I'll try Halo and see if I can get Unreal Championship later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aikman

You might try MotoGP2 also. Great stuff with multi players. But halo is still the Daddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    I tried GR:IT last night and was v.p1ssed off to find that it only allowed one player per x-box as well.

Of course it took me a good 45 minutes of pissing about testing controllers and trying different things to realise it just wasn't going to happen.

Cheers TSM, that's saved me pissing around for an hour or so. We'll just be sticking with the Halo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

must sort out another session soon...

HALO Rocks.

DotC

Set up with halo the other night and it was excellent. Everybody's favourite by a mile.

I'll definitely be doing this again.

Advertisement