Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

create a webpage that gives the user the option to upload files?

Options
  • 14-10-2003 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

hi

anyone have any idea on how to create a webpage that gives the user the option to upload files to a certain directory on a server,

it will be used on out intranet so security is not really an issue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

depends on what language(s) you are hoping to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

using iis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Oh sure but I ment were you going to use

PHP/JSP/ColdFusion/ASP etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Make sure you secure it up. Otherwise users will be able to execute commands and cause you alot of pain and suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

can someone recommend an uploader? it can be ASP or PHP but should work with files up to about 5Mb. i've been searching the boards but can't find any answers. i've also tried a few from the web (both ASP & PHP) but they seem full of bugs or don't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

these lads have added this to their site (though youmay need to be logged in to see it) if you mail on on their admins they may be willing to tell you what they did/how they did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I was looking for something similar a while ago, and I eventually found the Perl script on this page. It's extremely easy to set up and has password protection, the only thing it doesnt have is a way to view the files after they're uploaded - but a simple script for that shouldn't be too hard.
    For something quick and dirty that works, I'd recommend this.
    [edit]oh and you can specify the file size limit yourself[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

This functionality (file upload) is obscenely easy to code in perl (doing it securely takes a bit longer though), I'm nearly sure that the same in PHP is only marginally more complex, but there are some built in limits that may cause you problems with files over 1 MB (I think).

The main problem you're likely to have is actually network bandwidth.

I setup just such a page yesterday, but while I can upload files up to about 10 MB with no major problems (other than having to wait for it to upload!) Users in our UK office can't upload half that amount (i.e. 5MB - the amount you're looking for...) So if the uploader is in the same office as the server, then it shouldn't be a problem, but once you start hopping over different subnets, then you may start to see some timeouts....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I've yet to see easier uploading than asp.net provides. A couple of lines is all thats required.

Advertisement