Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 x Rears?

Options
  • 14-10-2003 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Im in the middle of upgrading my system to the following items:

AMP: Marantz SR5300
    Fronts: Monitor Audio Bronze 4
    rears: Monitor Audio Bronze Fx

Im keeping my exsisting Woofer and center,
    What i would like to know is how do i get 3 of the monitor audio rears, its only possible to buy them in pairs? does anyone know where to buy 3 speakers or a pair and another single one?

Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

1. you should be able to buy them solos.
    2. if you are upgrading why won't you go for 2 rear centers aka, 7.1 ?
    3. I know a shop that will sell speakers seperatly (not MA though, but B&W 600 series for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

6.1 is good enough at the moment, i have never seen any 7.1 DVD's yet so i think 6.1 will do for a while, Ill give richersounds a bell and see what they think about selling them seperate?

Thanks
    Sean

of course you haven't seen 7.1 DVD, that's because there isn't such a format.
    The additional one is another center at the back:
    2X front
    1X front Center
    2X sides (what was rears in 5.1)
    2X rear centers (which actually get the same information in 6.2 DVDs but in some DSPs they actually get different like in logic7 of Harman Kardon).

The advantage in big rooms is fenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

1. you should be able to buy them solos.

Unfortunately, i know for a fact that you can't buy them singularly, cos I am a Monitor Audio dealer! Only option is to buy another pair (keep the second one in case 7.1 comes along) or buy something like a bronze centre to use as your rear centre.

Robbie

Robbie, are you a dealer ?! what shop ?
    What I meant is that if you can't buy them solos, then look for something else that you can like B&W for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Im in the middle of upgrading my system to the following items:

AMP: Marantz SR5300
    Fronts: Monitor Audio Bronze 4
    rears: Monitor Audio Bronze Fx

Im keeping my exsisting Woofer and center,
    What i would like to know is how do i get 3 of the monitor audio rears, its only possible to buy them in pairs? does anyone know where to buy 3 speakers or a pair and another single one?

Thanks
    Sean

Sean 7.1 (1 centre/2 fronts/4 rears & sub) is the same as 6.1 (3 rears) except the 2 centre rears as looped - as Martin said - they get the same info. The idea is to "wrap" the sound around you.

Would you consider mission M7DS's? which are what hifi winners. They are bipole speakers and fire the sound in 2 direction so the dont have to be positioned directly at the rear. I have 4 of these in my setup and I can vouche that they are superb.

My mind is made up about the monitor audios, they are bi-polar too
    bfx.gifbfx.gif
    Ill see if i can stretch to a 7.1 setup.......... Its in a very big room and i have a hugh flat long wall behind the couch so space isnt a problem. My lady and my wallet may be another story!

bronze4.gif
    sr5300.jpg

I can get my hands on small thin pieces of marble to put the speakers on, would this be a good idea? (isolation)

Any ideas?
    Sean

Martin, I am a custom installer called Legend Audio Visual based out of Portlaoise at the moment, but soon to move back to Dublin.

Sean, if you can get the marble slabs without too much grief, go for it. The speaker still needs to be isolated from the slab though. There are a few products designed specifically for this purpose, but Blu-Tak does a great job of it. And Blu-Tak got a 5 star review in What Hi-Fi!!

The Bronze FX speakers can be set to either bi-pole or di-pole, making them absolutely ideal for a 7.1 setup, as you can use them as rears and sides.

Sweet robbie, thanks but i just got some bad news from richersounds, they have neither the Marantz SR5300 or the monitor audio speakers in stock? the SR4300 is being replaced by the SR5400 so that maybe a while off be for they get them in stock.... agggghhh but they should have the monitor audios back in next week...... anyone know where i could get my hands on a SR5300 online that would be as cheap as Richersounds.ie (€369)

Thanks
    Sean

I think the SR5300 is discontinued. I bought my last amp here. They have the SR5400 for £349.95stg.

-- edit -- SR5300 for £299.95stg here.

• Advertisement

Ok, just ordered it from superhi.co.uk, with delivery it works out at around 470Euros, 100Euros more than Richersounds.ie, Grrrr
    But i was in audiovision in galway at lunch and the exact same Amp was 799euros which made me feel a little better. Any one have any experience with superhi.co.uk?
    DavG, that web site it no longer delivers to Rep Of Ireland? and i couldnt stretch to the SR5400 @ st£349 anyway, it did look savage though, but ive actually heard the SR5300 at a friends house and it was amazing with music and films so ive my heart set on it!

Now just the waiting game..........

Thanks
    Sean

Ive also changed my mind about my floorstanders aswell, i think im gonna go for these mission M35:

m35_550.jpg
    LINK

Has anyone heard any good/bad things about these? they will be used 50/50 music/films.... davG i know your a huge mission fan?

Or should i stick with the monitor audios.........?

Sean

TBH Sean when I ordered I sent it via a mate in the UK. Do you have any relations over there that could do the same? It's free delivery to UK mainland as well.

BTW I have the SR5300 and it's amazing. Well worth the cash. Great hifi sound as well as for home cinema.

Dont know much about the M35's. Make sure you listen to them before you buy them (demo). Mission are top for speakers though imo.

Ive also changed my mind about my floorstanders aswell, i think im gonna go for these mission M35

Hi, based on what have you changed your mind ?
    Price? review on a magazine ? looks ?

In my opinion one should not buy a speaker without listening to it.

People won't buy a tomato in Tesco without choosing it by themselves, but speakers, ah no probs.....:(

Well, mainly because my budget got bigger (bonus!!) and some good reviews about the M35's, also i found very little info on the monitor audios, and any time ive heard missions they have sounded great, and these are ment to be very good for music, also i live in galway and my only option is audiovision, and ive never met a more stuck up and over priced shop i my life, 799 for the marantz SR5300, and they wouldnt admit that it was discontinued, and there was a newer version on its way (SR5400)
    Muppets. they also would not let me listen to a pair of Kef floorstanders, they obviously didnt like the look of me, it was my day off (22, jeans, unshaven), but obviously didnt smell my visa dying to be used!!.
    So reviews and online shops are my only choice.
    I always spend alot of time reading reviews and boards.ie users ideas?
    Thats why Martin

DavG, I have a sister over there, but my credit card is reg in Ireland and can onlybe delivered to my card address, it was £25 for delivery to Ireland. expensive but its a heavy item. and its insured etc........

Thanks
    Sean

Sean you are right to ask for people's opinions on these speakers. If you can't get to hear them, reviews and opinions are your best decision making chance. Even if you do get to hear them, what are the chances that they are going to be on the same amp with the same sources, using the same cables and in a room with the same acoustic characteristics of your own room?

Go with your instinct 50% and opinions 50%. Also, beware particularly of favourable reviews towards Mission speakers if they have come from What Hi-Fi. A director of Mission also sits on the board of What Hi-Fi, make your own conclusions.

Personally, I have actually heard the Monitor Audio Bronze 4 with the SR5300 a couple of months ago. They sounded terrific. I've always felt that Monitor and Marantz work well together. If you have a bigger budget, why not look at the Silver range from Monitor Audio?

Another consideration is to try and match your centre speaker tonally. Its no good having really bright, lively main speakers, and a laid back centre. The tone across the front 3 speakers will sound strange in certain circumstances. If a sound is panning across the 3 speakers, you want it to sound the same all the way across, not suddenly change in the middle and then back again. This is not how movies were supposed to be heard.

So, based on all that, can you tell us what your centre speaker is?

Robbie

its a tannoy center, not too sure of model (im at work), but i will be upgrading them in a month or so to match which ever speakers i buy now, i will probably buy the same series center and rears....... I had my mind made up with the speakers, till i upped my budget......... now im all over the place.
    But i think ill go with the missions........

Hi Sean
    First of, try the link on my signature.
    Second, do you ever come to Dublin ?

Advertisement