Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows me backup

Options
  • 14-10-2003 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

My friends PC with Windows Me wont boot up its get the backgrond of OS and sits there....

So i thought i woould have to reinstall it....

Anywho He needs to get a lot stuff of his C: Drive he only has one partition Whats the best way of backuping up the stuff on C: drive....

In dos Could I reparition the disk?

Is there any other ways of getting around this.....Does Me have a repair built in on cd???

Or any other way????

thanks
    Jonhate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

Format the drive, use fdisk to partition the drive. Use ghost to take an image of the drive, save the image to your second partition.

Here: http://fdisk.radified.com/

It's all there.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post properly :rolleyes: , the above won't save any of yor stuff (which is prolly lost). I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you retrieve if possible.

It will save you losing it again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I do data recovery of hard drives.
    If you're in the dublin area PM me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get a windows 98 startup disk - boot it up

FDISK /STATUS - will tell you if there is only C:

If that is the case then you would need to copy the files on to something else. - Note: if you reinstall ME over the top it will inherit corrupt settings, if you rename the windows folder first then you would have to reinstall all the apps again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

1)try fixing winme....
    did you try booting in safe mode, press f8 before the os starts to boot select safe mode, then run system restore if it boots,then reboot without using safe mode, should boot normally
    if it does then using a cd burner or slave drive back up everything important, and format that crap o.s.

or

2)no good, okay backup....
    remove the drive, plug it into your pc (by using cd-rom ide cable. or (advanced) by setting as a slave on you drives ide cable )
    then copy all the important stuff to your pc

Advertisement