Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Well After Complaining Like Mad - The Line Has Passed

Options
  • 14-10-2003 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭

For all you people who have had the dreaded "Line Failed" from Eircon, don't believe it as gospel. best way is to order BB and then the line has to be tested properly.

Eircon came back to me today and said my line had passed after all.

I am now off to IOL in double quick time.

gbcullen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I am now off to IOL in double quick time.

Good for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Aaarrgh line testing.... I decided to take advantage of the fact that eircom have removed the account number requirement from the DSL prequalification database lookup thing on their website.

Using the online residential telephone directory to find the phone numbers of murphy's, smith's, jones's etc in all the estates around my area (in deepest Dublin 15, just short of the Meath border), I tried at least 30 different telephone numbers in it.

Not one passed. Not a single bloody one.

That's pretty depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

pete

that test on the web is a load of tosh, it is in fact a database of lines that have been tested in the past 4 weeks and denoted as passed or failed!! it is updated every 4 weeks and if u believe that u will believe anything.

put in your order and let eircon do all the running then cancel when u are tested.

its a hard life.

gb--

ehhh how do you get them to accept your order when the database tells THEM your line fails?

good point, talk nicely and tell them u have been told that the reason your line failed is that it has been connceted to a modem, an answering machine, a handsfree phone, u are uisng adaptors so can I place order and then a test will again to verify. Say u have uplugged all these gadgets for a few days.

worth a try but if u are living in the middel of nowhere then of cpurse u have a problem.

gb--

• Advertisement

i hear what yer sayin... but the middle of nowhere? hardly. i live in the middle of a couple of thousand houses of less than 5 year vintage in Dublin 15, just across the N3 from IBM and up the road from where eBay and Google will be based.

although given the revelations last week that the developer of said houses was passing brown envelopes to get postcodes changed, i probably actually live in leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good for you gbcullen.

I got confirmation that my line had passed about a month ago. For some strange reason I had to get a manual test (which meant actually ordering the product) as my line wasn't in the database (even though I've had it three years). Got the confirmation call and was asked when I wanted it installed. Told them they could install when they had a reasonable product with a reasonable cap at a reasonable price. Might be waiting then, though I'm tempted to go with UTV when I know for definite that I'll be living here between Feb and October next year (co-op beckons). Sod's law states that my line will fail when I actually want it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by sceptre
    ......... and was asked when I wanted it installed. Told them they could install when they had a reasonable product with a reasonable cap at a reasonable price.

Sceptre;

Class, as always!!

Pete

U should have a good chance of passing, try my idea, nothing to lose, even it means ringing a few times.

When I rang back eircon today to cancel I told them I was going with ESAT and explained they could not match it price wise and cap and when I siad free modem they said it was not free I would pay rental on it!!

Now the funny thing is I went on IOL tonight and put my details in and got to the ordering page no problem whereas yesterday it was line failed!! That was a bloody quick database upgrade. I do not like this at all.

Give it a go pete.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I decided to take advantage of the fact that eircom have removed the account number requirement from the DSL prequalification database

Hmm, i did the same thing and the five houses i checked on my road (one being my left hand side neighbour) all pass, yet im failing?

MUST have something to do with my isdn..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by vac
    MUST have something to do with my isdn..
    Some recent thoughts from Mr Beecher on that here (you've probably spotted that thread anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Congratulations first of all well done

second and this is prolly off topic for this thread, if it is move somewhere else, but i thought itd be interesting to note this point

My friend finally got his RADSL service in on monday, he got an engineer to install it, now when he got down to business of installing the modem etc, he said that he would have to put in an extra socket in the bedroom and because he had 2 other sockets that were extensions and he wasnt paying for them (just the main line into the house), he would have to start paying for all those as well.

Im wondering is this right as eircom gave up the right to do anything with internal wiring let alone charge for it in April 2001

Are Eircom trying to pull a fast one here

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by pete
    Using the online residential telephone directory to find the phone numbers of murphy's, smith's, jones's etc in all the estates around my area (in deepest Dublin 15, just short of the Meath border), I tried at least 30 different telephone numbers in it.

Not one passed. Not a single bloody one.

That's pretty depressing.

Did the exact same thing yesterday :D Using *cough* a special private database *cough* I got numbers of 6 of my neighbours. Five passed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

quote:
    Did the exact same thing yesterday Using *cough* a special private database *cough*

Hmmm who would ever have thought there could be such a thing as a private database? Who was it private to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

me & anyone else that can use filemaker pro :D

Advertisement