Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual boot winxp with win2000

Options
  • 14-10-2003 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just started an MCP windows 2000 course and I need to dual boot my winxp pro with win2000
    can someone tell me how?
    I put win2000 cd in but the install option is disabled
    any help appreciated
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

is that an evening course?? i'd love to do something like that

very easy to do if you had win2k installed and wanted to dual boot xp, your doing it arseways

you'll need partiton magic, and

this http://www.ranish.com/part/part240.zip
    extract part.exe to a bootdisk

using partiton magic
    shrink you xp partiton to what ever you like half the drive, create a new ntfs partiton,using up the rest of the space, format it (might have to reboot first)

boot of the floopy, run part, scroll down to pai 1 change this partition from ntft to hidden ntfs,mark the other ntfs partition as active, f2 to save
    remove floppy and insert win2k cd, boot from this

install 2k

boot off the floopy and run part again
    change the partition pri1 back to ntfs
    scroll up to master boot record press enter, and press space to get boot manager,f2 to save
    you now have 6 seconds to press either 1 for xp or 2 for 2k when booting your pc

best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First you need a boot disk.
    format a floppy using XP, copy ntldr,ntdetect.com and boot.ini to this floppy. Test your computer can boot from it into XP.

Optional step if you have FAT32 - boot up from a Win98 SE startup disk and SYS C: :)

Now XP is most likely installed in C:\Windows so when you install windows 2000 - simply tell it to go into C:\Win2k

When setup is finished you should get a choice of XP or 2K in the boot menu...

At the worst you will still have your Xp boot disk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

thats handy to know, but i don't think it will help he said...
    I put win2000 cd in but the install option is disabled

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was the CD was stuck in while XP was running ???

Try booting from it - (Note: Some OEM Brand Specific CD's can get a bit stroppy when you try to install on a different brand of PC..)

Advertisement