Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ref VRT :Anybody ever Brought a car in from Europe?

Options
  • 14-10-2003 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knows how, or has experience in bringing a car in from Mainland Europe without having to pay the VRT ?

Heres what I m thinking ...
    We have a home in France. I heard somewhere that if you have a car , bought in Europe and registered to an address there, that you can bring it home to Ireland after 6 months.

I have seen people do this with LHD cars, but wouldnt it be better to buy a RHD car ? Could nt I just order a car from a local dealer in France, say, but ask them to order a RHD from the factory in the same spec , and not the standard LHD that they would order ?
    I d have no problem waiting 6 months for the car. I still reckon that even though the car you ve bought would be 6 months old before you got it , the savings on the VRT would more than make up for it .

Appreciate any ideas / experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Yes, you can order RHD. I think France has fairly hefty car taxes too, but not as bad as here.

The problem is that you have to be a non-resident of Ireland, i.e. be gone for 12 months, and you then have to have owned the car for 6 months and have driven it 6000 miles I believe. They will ask for documentary proof of all of the above, so payslips, utility bills, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tax evasion may leave you liable to have the vehicle confiscated. Don't forget this is the revenue and they will have your earnings for the year - so unless you can show that all your earnings for the year were in (say) France and that you have owned the car for six months, and have driven 6,000 miles in it. Forget it.

That's not to say that you may not find a car cheaper overseas or up North (sterling is coming down again) I saved about 1000 euro buying a new car in Belfast and registering it here.

Advertisement