Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Clicking noise

• 14-10-2003 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭

My brand new 120gig WD caviar 7200 SE has developed problems.

It all started with a clicking noise, which gradually happened more and more, then all of a sudden, it crashed. When I rebooted, the HDD was not found.

I was convinced that the HDD was fecked, but I left it for 40 mins or so, and I started up.

Clicking noise still happens on some occasions, but I wonder, could this of happened due to it overheating (it was very warm when I touched it)

I don't care about losing the data, as I have it backed up, but I do care about not having a PC while I get a replacement.

I was just about to buy a case fan to stick in front of the HDD aswell.

I hope it was just the temperature!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

3 yr warranty. I ran some HDD software, and it seems to be gone. Hopefully it was just the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

its on its way out man , the click of death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

its the click of death alright
    bring it back immediately under warranty, as the actuator arm is hitting the platters and as said before this will get worse and eventually seize up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Same happened to me. Try to get it up long enough to save your data and send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

Same thing is happening to my laptop!
    Its insured, will i be able to claim even though it isnt completely f**t yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by girldef
    Same thing is happening to my laptop!
    Its insured, will i be able to claim even though it isnt completely fuct yet?

Yes :)
    Avoid messing with the insurance peeps though, just arrange for the rtailer you bought it off to replace it for you. You'll probably have to pay shipping though. if it's RMA'd you may get the shipping refunded, depending on the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I absolutely hate hearing the click of death. Your hard drive is almost certainly going to die, sooner rather than later. I've had that happen to 4 drives of mine, various brands. I would strongly advise you to back up all important data, and get an RMA off Western Digital, or your hard drive supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

amazing the amount of people who ignore the click of death until it is too late for the recovery maestros (such as I) to do anything for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I have that clicked and scrapping sound on an old box I fire up an odd time for the last 4 years. Really loud scrapping noise, like the arm is scrapping the platter. It still works fine running 95, for some old apps I still use occasionally.

Advertisement