Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Final Fantasy Game?

• 15-10-2003 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Since I've seen a bit of talk regarding how crap one FF game is, and how great another is, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc in the "Has any game ever made you cry thread", I decided to find out what people really do think. So, which is your fav?

What's Your Favourite Final Fantasy Game? 29 votes

Final Fantasy V
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy VI
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy VII
    10% 3 votes
    Final Fantasy VIII
    65% 19 votes
    Final Fantasy IX
    6% 2 votes
    Final Fantasy X
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy X-2 (If you've been lucky enough to play it)
    13% 4 votes
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
    0% 0 votes
    Other Final Fantasy Game
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

VII wins hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

7 of course but with 10 and tactics advance in a _very_ close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Holy ****, that was answered fast. I only refreshed the page, and there was already a reply.

Anyways, more to the point. Reasons please!

I pick FFX because of a number of reasons. First of all, it looks and sounds great. Tidus's voice kinda pissed me off at first, but now I love it, same as all the rest of the voice acting.

Secondly, you can break all the previous limits, which means way more replayability.

Thirdly, the fighting system is the best of any FF game yet, the sphere grid means that you can take your favourite people, and get them doing whatever you need/want.

Lastly, and most importantly, the story. I really loved it from start to finish. Especially when
    Tidus fades just as he and Yuna touch for the last time
    and also when you find out
    that Tidus is in fact only a dream made to save the world from Sin basically
    , and the relationship between father and son is also really cool.

There are some things that still need to improve in FF games though. One of the big annoyances I have is that in the end of every FF game, after you've finished the story line, and are leveling up characters, you usually end up just using the same 3 or 4 people, and all the rest become crap that you can't even be arsed leveling up because the other 3 or 4 have got such good attacks. In X for instance, once you get to the leveling up part, your gonna fall back on Tidus for his blitz attack, Wakka for his attack reels, and Yuna for summons, and everyone else will just be there basically, and mostly unused.

Anyway, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

reason for VII being the best was it was a major leap graphically since 6 and it was the first game for me to spend over 50 hours on and also it made me cry when u know when...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

How would anyone know what this is like??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I saw FF X on platinum for the pee ess too and thought about getting it since everybody here seems to masterbate furiously about FF in general. Therefore I find this thread interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have played most FF games and i thought FFX was piss poor. The characters annoyed the **** outta me.

the best FF game is FFVII!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

clownboy - because it's out in Japan?

Bit unfair to include the "not really final fantasy" games in that list. I rate Final Fantasy Tactics as one of the best console games ever made, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is very high on my list of the best handheld games ever made, but I don't really think either of them fit in with the rest of the Final Fantasy series.

Ignoring those, then, I'm torn between FFX and FFVII. FFVII was the game that opened my eyes to the kind of stories games could tell; hearing the opening music from the game is still enough, even now, to send shivers down my spine. If I had to pick a single defining moment that made me love videogames and probably set me on the path to my current career, FFVII is it. On the other hand, I think I can honestly say that I enjoyed FFX more. I liked the battle system and the characters more, even if I still don't think its storyline was up to scratch.

I picked FFX, because I honestly think it's a better game. But there's no doubt in my mind that to me at least, FFVII is a more important game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

High praise indeed.

/me tucks away 30 eurons for FF X

I've been looking for something on the PS2 with a bit of life in it seeing as the games I've got so far (Max Payne, SSX Tricky, Gran turismo 3, Tony Hawke 4, Eyetoy play, Tekken 4) are pretty much short to medium term kinda games.

P.s. I got finally got showoff gold in Alaska in SSX Tricky last week. I am now a Master. I love SSX Tricky. I love it so much. /me hugs SSX Tricky.

Also in case someone who knows who he is, is reading this: top score in Tokyo Megaplex - 730k. Take it bitch :p

Anyway, yes, sorry, back on topic amp. Final Fantasy! Soon I shall be one of you. Peer pressures rules! /me takes drag of cigarette...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,924 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it definitely has to be FFVII. It really opened my eyes to just how far videogames could go as an entertainment medium. I've recently beaten it again and noticed a lot of it's flaws yet still I got the same feelings of adventure and wonder from when i played it so many years ago. FFX would be a close second. Probably the best battle system of all the FF games and a great story and characters. I just preferred the characters and story of FFVII a whole lot more. Next would be FFVI. It still looks gorgeous and has a wonderful story and characters. There was no RPG that could touch it when it came out.

Here's how I'd rate the FF games in order:
    1. FFVII
    2. FFX
    3. FFVi
    4. FFIX
    5. FFIII
    6. FFIV
    7. FFV
    8. FFI
    9. FFII
    10. FFVIII

All the FF games are brilliant. This list is based on a scale of how brilliant I think they are.

• Advertisement

The reason I included both Final Fantasy X-2 and Crystal Chronicles is that I was rather hoping to make this a thread that would keep goin for a while, and that people would still be able to vote on in a month or three when these games have been released and played. Future planning and all clownboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

LoL "furiously Masturabates" LoL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Eh, you should probably add Kingdom Hearts to that list. It was a Square/Disney collaboration, but with numerous reference to FF and a game style just like it too.

Umm, Couldn't that just go under the title of "Other". Kinda the reason it's included really, non?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

how many people here have played the original ff game ? cause in my opinion that was the third best and never got the atention it deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

VII all the way, baby.
    The game that singlehandedly made japanese rpg's popular in the west, and made me realise games could be more than just a quick fu*k about for a half hour blowing things up. In short, the greatest game ever made. It had the characters, the story, the music, the gameplay, everything.
    It can still hold its own against most modern rpg's, which is pretty rare.
    Have to disagree with sonof battles on the FFX characters tho, i thought wakka was one of the weaker characters, i used almost allthe characters except for kimhari. He was pretty dire. Tidus and auron for their attacks, wakka to blind/silence people, lulu for doublecasting the big spells, and yuna for healing. Kimhari just hung about int he back looking bored :rolleyes:

If you use Wakka's attack reels properly he has one of the most powerful attacks in the game. The other contenders being Tidus's Blitz attack, and some of the summons. At full strength the attack reels can do 99,999 X 12 worth of damage, meaning, HERR-UUGE amounts of damage. Even without break damage limit enabled, that's still 9,999 X 12, and that's still one powerful amount of damage. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by amp

Also in case someone who knows who he is, is reading this: top score in Tokyo Megaplex - 730k. Take it bitch :p

Nice score on that track, not one of my favourite tracks though.. too many annoying pipes in the way in the air. My top score on that track is something like 690k.

But I 'heart' pipedream, on which my top score is 1,590,410 :D

Take THAT bitch!!

Oh, and FF7 is moi favourite of the FF's

Advertisement