Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Sharing in WinXP Home

Options
  • 15-10-2003 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

okay in college, was about to share a few folders out on the network for my mates .. when I went to do it in WinXP Home Edition I, to my dread, realised that Home doesn't let you share out password protected folders, you have to share everything out using the Guest log-in or some other restricted log-in (WTF!)

Is this the most stupid thing MS has ever done or what!! WinXP Pro has a load of sharing options, how fecking hard would it be to do the same in Home. Win95 can do it ffs!!

Anyway, my question is ... are there more powerful sharing tools available for WinXP Home, either undocumented command line tools (WinXp seems to be full of them), or a program you can download to do it??

Much help would be apprechiated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah i love what Microshaft did there.
    We had Win2k which has all the security features you really need.
    Then, MS released XP Home & Pro which are both based on the 2k kernel.
    The Pro edition has all the same features of 2k.
    The Home edition is restricted so that it has less functionality than win2k.
    XP home was a downgrade from Win2k really. Pro was about the same with a few bells & whistles thrown in.

Never came across tool that can get around it though, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Have you tried mapping drives, it works for me at home but its Win XP home and win 98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I never thought i'd actually praise microsoft but here's what i've to say...
    Why in god's name would your college be running XP HOME?!? Christ, the Home edition is really bad. The Pro edition is far better. Home used to crash the whole time, Pro hasn't crashed once for me! Talk to those admins and get them to put Professional on there. Get them to dual boot with redhat9 while you're at it! And as far as i know, XP is based on the NT kernel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by sjones
    And as far as i know, XP is based on the NT kernel.

Well, yeah. Xp is based on the Win2k kernel which is based on the NT kernel. It's all the same. It's the muskateer kernel. One kernel for all and all kernels for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by sjones
    Why in god's name would your college be running XP HOME?!?

oh should have made that clear ... I am running WinXP home on my own computer in student residence but it is connected to the college network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

msft dropped domain support on purpose..

as to make business users use xp pro..

anyways ya there is an addon application that allows xp home clients to connect to domains.

also regarding sharing on xp home

it uses "pass through authenication"

that means the pc connecting to ur shares..

should have an account that matches the same credential of an account on ur box..

it doesnt have to be the in use account (logged in account)
    but if it is, saves them having to enter a password each session they access the share

Advertisement