Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network floooding and UNC

• 15-10-2003 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

got a question here for anyone who wants to try and have a go:

a machine accessing a server machine (remotely on another network). The server has a temporary file-share set up which has potentially thousands of files opening/closing at any given moment in time. The server machine is running win2k server, and the local machine win2k

UNC[1] is being used to access the server file system.

A problem arises with the application server (running on the remote server machine) whenever it is running. The remote network experiences serious flooding, which I suspect _could_ be the local machine's UNC requests attempting to resolve the destination (server) name

The UNC question is only a hypothesis, but does anyone have any ideas about what *might* be a factor? I apologise for the vagueness of this question, since I don't have all the details nor access to the remote network and the lad who asked me this hasn't got the mae-west of english (he's ukrainian)

[1] Universal Naming Convention eg. \\machine-name\file-share

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The resolution idea sounds a bit unlikely, but try using the machine's IP address rather than name in the UNC path to check just in case.

Advertisement