Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

andy reid

• 15-10-2003 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I was watching the Forest vs Rotherham last night and I reckon Andy Reid vcould be the answer to our lack of creativity in the centre of the park. He is strong, relatively fast (fast enough for the central midfield), good control and skill and he has got a good shot. He is also attack minded. As for the defensive shortcomings that would have to be seen in practice before we could say for definite. Sure last night, he tracked back 60 yards in the dying minutes to tackle the rotherham full back . I reckon him in the centre of midfield beside a much more defensive midfielder would do the trick. Although we are quite short in that area - matt "the invisible man" holland stinks up the gaff, stephen mcphail - must be inhabiting two dimensional world were he can only pass sideways. Healy - what a bag of crap, no wonder O'Neill never played him.... Aaaaaaaarrrrrgghhhhhh we are so ****e....

discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, watched the match last night and was quite impressed with him. First time I'd seen him play though. Although the commentator seemed to make out that he was the main playmaker for forest, which is a good sign.
    But didn't he play as a left-sided winger last night?? If so, would he be suited in the middle. I haven't seen enough of him so I can't comment on that point. But if he is a natural left winger would it be wise to play him out of position like other players on the Irish squad??

The thing that I'd have reservations about is the fact that he was playing against those Giants of English football that are Rotherham!! I suppose it would be like saying just because Glen Crowe in knocking them in every week in the EL that he should be playing in the National Squad!! Don't think so!!
    Also, he had a stormer of a first half where Forest went 2-0 up but he wasn't that effective in the second half where Rotherham pulled back 2 goals and looked like they could of clinched it in the end!!!
    But Reid did look promising and he is only young (anybody know how old???)

Hopefully he'll be a contender in the future!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

He's 21. We have a promising young defender at Forest too, is he still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Seen him a few times on the telly this year and he's a good player with an eye for the pass and the b@lls to take on the shot when he should.

He should be given a game in the next internationals, as should Miller at Celtic. We should blood as many young players as possible as we are bound to have a few retirements between now and the WC, which is over 2 1/2 years away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭BigDaddyKone

i reckon with the physique he has a move infield would be no problem to him. Although maybe he does not have the patience (as in to do the simple things - 90% of the time) to play there. Here hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i only saw bits of the match last night but andy reid stood out.im not sure but if he was playing left midfield(which i dont think he was) mcphail would have had to been left back.Also glen crowe isnt even doind that well in the eircom league this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Big Ears
    i only saw bits of the match last night but andy reid stood out.im not sure but if he was playing left midfield(which i dont think he was) mcphail would have had to been left back.Also glen crowe isnt even doind that well in the eircom league this year.

Wow, Its sorta scary that people are watching us play now that focus is on a few Irish lads in the team.

Reid is a left winger. However, since mcPhail came into the team he's been playing in a sorta forward role behind the striker much like Huckerby played for Forest last year.

Reid has had a stormer of a Season, but watch John Thompson, he's been off form of late but he's had some really good performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Also glen crowe isnt even doind that well in the eircom league this year.

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make there. I was making the point that just because a player was doing well in Division 1 doesn't mean that he'd be able to do it at an international level, and the same would go for an EL player regardless how well he was playing.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Reid has had a stormer of a Season, but watch John Thompson, he's been off form of late but he's had some really good performances this season.

John Thompson, that's the name I was looking for! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make there. I was making the point that just because a player was doing well in Division 1 doesn't mean that he'd be able to do it at an international level, and the same would go for an EL player regardless how well he was playing.

Quite Right.

There a lot of drivel spoken here about 1st division players (some of whome have failed in the Premiership) being the solution to Irelands problems. Reid is a left winger and we have a world class one of those in duffer when the manager when manager decides to play him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm going to see da woman next week in London Shes a season ticket holder at Milwall ( I know I know but having been to The Den its not that bad at all). Anyhow I'm going to see Milwall V Notts Forest so I'm looking forward to seeing Reid play for real.

I'l post a report on the game when I return, If I'm still alive
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Of course just because someone plays well in Div 1 it doesn't mean they are good enough for International football, but how we can't play inform players and keep picking lads that really aren't up to it even if they are in the Premiership is beyond me....

Lets be honest about it, Healy although apparently very talented has had enough time and been at clubs not exactly brim full of talent to do a lot more than he has, and for an Irish team to be playing him in crux matches when he's only ever played in a handful of competitive matches at senior level was a disgrace.......it's time to blood young players, but I've heard that before, and Kerr reckons Healy is pivotal in the new team setup - it's crazy, Reid has been consistenly good for the last year and has been ignored for the senior team for some unknown reason, especially seeing as Kerr knows him well.....

I just think the team is going to fall into the same old traps again, playing people cause the manager likes them, football needs to be a ruthless game, if someone is on better form you shouldn't be in the team, I would have rathered see Kavanagh out there last week than either Holland or Healy, he would have been hungry and would have fought for the whole game - something we lacked badly, there needs to be a change in the whole way we do things and it better happen now, or it never will.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote: Irish1
    ....I'm going to see Milwall V Notts Forest ....

Milwall !!!??? Be sure to bring a few bottles with ya !!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by tinky
    Quote: Irish1
    ....I'm going to see Milwall V Notts Forest ....

Milwall !!!??? Be sure to bring a few bottles with ya !!! :D:D

It's not actually that bad, I couldn't believe the number of women and children there. The atmosphere is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

bazmo i dint misunderstand ur post im just saying you could have used a better example than Crowe.

Advertisement