Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Laptop with 3D screen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wow, that's fuppin cool. And all it costs you is $3,299.00. Wonder could I haggle them down to an "IOU €200"
    Seriously though, what possible use could you have for this that merits the price tag. It'll probably mess up your eyesight real bad too. Still cool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Well, the main use seems gaming as it is provided with 3:
    Includes 3 free Electronic ArtsTM games to showcase the capabilities of the RD3D! Test your cool with James Bond 007: Nightfire, hit the road with Need for SpeedTM Hot Pursuit 2 or putt for dough in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2003. All 3 are yours when you order the new RD3D for a limited time.

Pity it's not the OS in 3D... with 3d gloves, you grab one files and throw it to the bin!:D

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Bacchus
    Wow, that's fuppin cool. And all it costs you is $3,299.00. Wonder could I haggle them down to an "IOU €200"
    Seriously though, what possible use could you have for this that merits the price tag. It'll probably mess up your eyesight real bad too. Still cool though.

What are you talking about? I was surprised that they managed to charge that little for it. Laptops are pricey, LCDs are pricey and "new technology" is doubly pricey.

Some "high end" laptops cost close to\more than this one, obviously without the 3D screen.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that's only €2800 which is a seriously cool price for a prime new piece of technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I saw some of these (similar screens anyway) being shown off at Siggraph. They're pretty cool alright, as long as you don't move your head from side to side. The 3d effect is somewhat better than stereo shutter-glasses (minus the headache after 15 minutes use), but is ruined when you forget and move your head too much. It's like those moving hologram stickers you get that change depending on what angle you're looking from.

They've developed similar monitors with either eye tracking or optical tracking built in, which eliminates this problem for the most part, but at this price you can do without them. Still, would I love to get my hands on one of these...

• Advertisement
Advertisement