Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevie G is the new Liverpool Captain

• 15-10-2003 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Well it was only a matter of time and after promising to sign a new long term deal it is the perfect reward.

I'm happy with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nice move on liverpool's behalf, he will be a captain in the Keane mould, take no shit and pop up with the odd captains goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

It's a kick in the teeth for Hyppia, just what he doesn't need for his confidence which has been shook by a few poor performances recently.

SG is a good player and could be captain but changing captains during the season can be bad for morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Moral i dont think is high anyway at Liverpool. I think its very good move and Stevie is a Keane clone and won't be afraid to give the players a rollocking if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by jongore
    It's a kick in the teeth for Hyppia, just what he doesn't need for his confidence which has been shook by a few poor performances recently.

SG is a good player and could be captain but changing captains during the season can be bad for morale.

...or it could be the fillip big Sami needs- time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Sorry guys - it takes a lot more than giving someone a rollickin to be compared with Keane.

Yeah I reckon he will be a good captain, but he's not the type of player that shines when times are hard.

I thought his performance for england on saturday was amasing and if he kept that up I would have a lot more respect for him. He's still young though and has in the past come under scutiny for the trouble he got into outside the club. I hope he's grown out of tht now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Hyypia and Owen have been named as vice-captains. I'd say Hyypia won't mind that much. Theres less pressure on him now and he can concentrate on getting back to form again.

As for moral been damaged I doubt that will happen at a club like Liverpool. Irishgeo where exactly did you hear that moral was low at the club????? :rolleyes: It's only a few games into the season. Anything could happen yet (like star-studded Chelsea dropping points at Birmingham last night for instance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Speaking of Birmigham, I thought they'd have faded into the lower regions of the prem by now, but they are still up there. Anyone, reckon they'll be contending for Europe come the end of the season.

Back on topic: SG is a good choice captain. you definetly couldn't criticise his commitment and passion for Liverpool. I never liked having defenders (or strikers) as captains. I would have thought maybe Hamann would be a better choice - he's a more experienced, disciplined player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

hamann is also fairly anonymous on the pitch, in the get the job done kind of way. Maybe not loud enough to captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Bacchus
    SG is a good choice captain. you definetly couldn't criticise his commitment and passion for Liverpool. I never liked having defenders (or strikers) as captains. I would have thought maybe Hamann would be a better choice - he's a more experienced, disciplined player.

totally agree ....

This choice of captain was probably made so that Stevie Gerard would stay at the club ... <with all the rumours floating around - linking him with chelsea>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a bad move but maybe one fraught with dangers too - no good having your captian banned for several games a season!
    Is it me or is Gerrard trying fewer 50 yard passes this season?

Sami Hyypia needs time to get his act together...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by jonno
    Hyypia and Owen have been named as vice-captains. I'd say Hyypia won't mind that much. Theres less pressure on him now and he can concentrate on getting back to form again.

As for moral been damaged I doubt that will happen at a club like Liverpool. Irishgeo where exactly did you hear that moral was low at the club????? :rolleyes: It's only a few games into the season. Anything could happen yet (like star-studded Chelsea dropping points at Birmingham last night for instance)

Morale is still low from last season and we are still not near a side that looks like winning the league.

I am member here as well. www.koptalk.com Check it out and join the insider as well i highely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think Stevie was going to be captain sooner or later - hopefully the timing is right. Also hopefully Sami takes it well and starts improving his performances.

I actually thought the next step for Sami was to be dropped in favour of a Biscan / Henchoz pairing but hopefully this works out. If he were to now be dropped as well as his demotion to vice captain then it would be disastrous for the lad.

Advertisement