Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should We Be Allowed To Turn Left on a Red?

Options
  • 15-10-2003 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As many will know in California (and maybe elsewhere) you can, if its safe to do so, turn right on a red light. This to me is good practice as it allows traffic to move on where possible.

Should the same be allowed here - ie turning left on a red or is the driving environment in Ireland such that it would cause more trouble then its worth? I certainly think it should be pilot tested though not sure how one would do that!

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think we should personally but if you look at countries like the US and Canada where this is allowed, there are more cops, specifically a traffic corps who strictly monitor the behaviour of drivers...

Until a large corps like this is place in ireland I think its a recipe for disaster..

In the US/Canada if your car fails to stop at a stop sign, as in comes to a complete stop for even 1 second and then you can pull off, you can be pulled over and issued with a ticket and a fine..

Can you honestly see that happening here?

The Gardai here are stretched too far as it is and havent enough funding or manpower to cover such things, jeez they can hardly manage the penalty points system as it is...

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Definitely a reasonable idea and one worth trying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I can vouch it's the same for Massachusetts and Florida. I'd imagine it's the same all over the States and Canada. It's a great idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

You've got to be kidding. Irish motorists are far too selfish for this to do anything other than cause massive headaches. People break red lights anyway and giving them permission to do so "if safe" will lead to some very suspect definitions of safe.

Ignoring the cars that would pull out in front of oncoming traffic you'd have even more people than usual ignoring red lights to drive through pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's also in practise in the state of Maryland on the east coast and yes - it's a good idea and works well there.

After coming back from holidays there, I had the thought that it would be a good idea if we were allowed drive on the left, but on reflection over time I saw how wrong that was.

I can't see it working here, for the reasons already mentioned - i.e.: we don't have enough traffic police and the drivers here, not being used to driving as much as Americans, are simply not as good at it (in general).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Craptacular
    You've got to be kidding. Irish motorists are far too selfish for this to do anything other than cause massive headaches. People break red lights anyway and giving them permission to do so "if safe" will lead to some very suspect definitions of safe.

Ignoring the cars that would pull out in front of oncoming traffic you'd have even more people than usual ignoring red lights to drive through pedestrian crossings.

Agreed.

The combination as others said of too few Gardai, and too many selfish and arrogant drivers would make it more hassle than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

That would also need lanes for traffic that is turning left and that is not always the case. Plus I think cyclists might have a few objections (if any of them decide to stop at red lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

It could work if drivers paid attention to "give way to the person on the right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by daveg
    I can vouch it's the same for Massachusetts and Florida. I'd imagine it's the same all over the States and Canada. It's a great idea tbh.

Its not the same all over. In french speaking Canada no turns are allowed on red.

In california there are places where turning on red is prohibited marked by the big "No Turn on Red" signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's a good idea.

I agree with the doubters and cynics though - I don't want to see it in this country where there don't seem to be any police paying any attention to dodgy city drivers and where people don't know how to use indicators, don't believe that a red light applies until it's been there for at least three seconds and wouldn't pay any attention to the "if it's safe" part of the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Its not the same all over. In french speaking Canada no turns are allowed on red.

Didn't realise it was different in Canada.
    Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    In california there are places where turning on red is prohibited marked by the big "No Turn on Red" signs.

It's the same all over the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have it in Germany and as a pedestrian in an otherwise pedestrian friendly country, I felt distinctly "uncomfortable2 with trucks lurching halfway around a corner as I was crossing with a green man. And remember German people know rules, we don't know what rules are.

That said there may be individual places where it might be tried on a trial basis - say at traffic light on QBCs where the bus lane ends before the traffic lights. It would mean no "left turners" would impede the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by daveg

It's the same all over the States.

If you mean it's legal to turn right on red all over the USA, then I'm afraid you are mistaken. I've driven around parts of America before (around Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia) and this rule does not apply everywhere. It's only in certain states. As far as I remember it was legal in Maryland (including DC) but not in Virginia and a number of other states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I experienced it in Germany also - it was a little strange due to being unfamiliar with the system. As Victor points out - rules need to be known.

Potentially it could be very effective. I'm well used to crossing the road in front of traffic anyway - so as a pedestrian it wouldn't necesarily make much difference once it became normal practice.

One drawback is that the roads in this country could prevent it working successfuly - the left lane being blocked by cars going straight or more likely, no left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

another trick we should borrow from abroad (Holland specifically though it may be used elsewhere) is to turn the damn traffic lights off at night, or switch them all to flashing amber.

there's nothing more frustrating than sitting at a red light at night when there is nothing coming in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by loyatemu
    there's nothing more frustrating than sitting at a red light at night when there is nothing coming in the other direction.
    Even better is the temporary lights but up by some road workers. In the morning they create a tailback in one direction and then in the evening the tailback is the other direction - common sense would be leave it green for longer in the relevant direction during the relevant times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That is what orange filter lights are for..

Agree that there are too many muppets out there to make it safely available ...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I agree. It may be a good idea, but regardless, the Irish wouldn't be able to handle it responsibly. To many twits trying to shave 3mins of a journey.

Given an inch I think the Irish take a mile, and given trust of competency and morality at a red light?? Blood bath!!

Advertisement