Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Driver was an ass

Options
  • 15-10-2003 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was waiting for the 68 yesterday morning and I had just bought a cup of coffee coz it was freezing and it was early (7.55am).
    Anyway, busdriver pulls up and I was first in the line, about to get in and put my ticket in and he says, you're not bringing that on here...
    I was like, excuse me?

He shouted at the waiting line, a lot of whom were drinking coffee that "Theres no hot beverages allowed on my bus today, coz I always have to clean it up."
    I looked at him bewildered for a moment, muttered under my breath and threw it in the bin and got on the bus.

Now when he had said this to me I thought hang on a second, I've just paid for this, and as far as i'm aware dublin bus have never had a no food/drink policy before. It crossed my mind to say "call the cops" and get on anyway but then it might have held up the bus and I didn't want to be late for work.

What do you think of this?
    Can someone clarify what dublin bus's stance on this kind of thing is?
    Can you tell a driver where to go if theres no signs saying no food/drink?
    I'm not about to let him waste my morning coffee some other day if he hasn't a leg to stand on.
    After all, I bloody well need it being in town at that hour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Can't say when or where, but I've definately seen signs saying "In the interests of Hygiene, please do not eat or drink on your bus".
    I wish they would go after the smokers as hard.

Caimin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Fair play to him, nobody ever cleans up the mess they leave behind. Half finished coffee running down the floor of the bus isn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

Yeh that was a bit lousy about the coffee!!!
    But the smokers and drug users can do what they want at the back of a bus!!! Needles sticking out of seats don't seem to bother the bloody bus driver!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've gotten on the bus with fast food before and haven't had a problem.

Drivers are people, some of them are just assholes. Like one who saw me waiting at a bus stop in the rain, drove right past me even though I outstretched my arm when I noticed he wasn't slowing down and a woman who was standing up front saw me and informed the driver (I had time to notice all this, no reason why he shouldn't). I mean sometimes they don't see you in time, but at least most of them will stop a few feet after the bus stop to give you a chance to run up and jump on. The bus was fairly empty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Fair play to him, nobody ever cleans up the mess they leave behind. Half finished coffee running down the floor of the bus isn't nice.

Indeed.

Fair play to him. a) you spill it, you'll just walk off b) you spill it and someone else slips on is DB is liable c) you spill it and scald someone no doubt they are liable too d) people leave them behind as rubbish which still has to be cleared up.

It's a bus, not a canteen.

I'm sure I've seen signs on some buses before, and I don't doubt that it's probably part of the bye-laws.
    But the smokers and drug users can do what they want at the back of a bus!!! Needles sticking out of seats don't seem to bother the bloody bus driver!!!

Now how do you know this particular driver allows that to go on - have you met him? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds

I clean up my **** after me like any other civil member of society, I don't appreciate being treated like a child by some bus driver who fell out the wrong side of the bed, he made me feel like a criminal.

Originally posted by BuffyBot

It's a bus, not a canteen.

I never said it was a canteen. And that has nothing to do with this topic, If I was eating a breakfast roll, drinking a coffee and orange juice then maybe that might be a valid comment.

Its a cup of coffee ffs.
    And like I said, I have no problem if they ban it, then I won't waste money on buying a cup for the bus, what I want is clarity.
    I was drinking a cup of coffee on the same bus today, no problem, and yes, I took my rubbish with me.

Dublin bus need to either enforce no drink/food totally, or not.
    That way, theres no confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

yeah I think that driver as you say yourself just fell out of the wrong side of the bed ... I thought the drivers are paid to drive the buses and take fares. I didn't think they were paid to clean the bus too.
    however as you say yourself , its only a cup of coffee . next time you get out of bed on the wrong side and he calls you back just walk on by

They're supposed to check the bus at every terminus, just pick up big bits of rubbish. They wouldn't have to "clean" spilled coffee, the buses are cleaned ni the garage by cleaners.
    Anyone familiar with the by-laws of these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Drivers are expected to deal with anything (such as spilt coffee) that would potentially cause a danger to passengers. Legally they are personally responsible for the safety of all passengers.

It is in the by-laws (from 1950) that "no person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle" From the DB timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    I've gotten on the bus with fast food before and haven't had a problem.

Yuck!! I prefer the smell of ciggy smoke on the bus to the stale smell of chips

Please show consideration for your fellow passengers and don't do it again.

I always get my coffee when I get OFF the bus in town. O'Briens on Westmoreland St. does a mean mocha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

The Singapore MRT/Hong Kong MTR are both spotlessly clean, I presume the no food/drink rule is key to that. I would not have a problem with Dublin Bus introducing the same but I cannot agree with singling out passengers depending on the driver’s mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gimme
    Dublin Bus Driver was an ass
    But he was right. They regularly stop "lads" brings cans (mostly beer / cider) onto the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's fair enough if there is a no warm drink policy or no food and drink or whatever. It should be clearly posted on the bus though before you pay for the ticket or swipe your card or whatever.

It shouldn't be something the driver decides to enforce on a whim. Some bus drivers are lovely folk but there is many an ass unfortunately.

Originally posted by Victor
    But he was right. They regularly stop "lads" brings cans (mostly beer / cider) onto the bus.

Cans of beer are a bit different than a cup of coffee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by robo
    Cans of beer are a bit different than a cup of coffee!!!
    Yeah, never been burnt by hot beer ;)

Originally posted by Victor
    Yeah, never been burnt by hot beer ;)

Yeh fair enough but people with coffee can hold thenselves together a bit better than those yolks with beer!!! And especially early in the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I think it was very petty to be telling people not to bring coffee onto a bus at 8am, seriously. I'm sure people are gonna drink their coffee especially if it's cold.

Whether DB has a policy or not regarding food/drink on a bus should be clearly shown, like the "exact change only" sign.

Would someone who is carrying shopping bags be told not to bring them on the bus, because there is no food or drink allowed. Who is to stop the person on the bus from taking something out of their shopping bags and eat or drink it. I've seen this happen many times, but have not seen them refused from getting on the bus, or told to leave the bus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by neuromancer
    Would someone who is carrying shopping bags be told not to bring them on the bus, because there is no food or drink allowed.
    It is in the by-laws (from 1950) that "no person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle" From the DB timetable.
    I think that's pretty clear. In theory, a bus driver should stop and talk to someone who removes something from their shopping bag and begins eating it.
    By the same token, you are perfectly entitled to bring your coffee aboard, so long as you don't drink it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I wouldn't mind if they were consistent on these issues. But in the end I guess it's the drivers call as he is responsible for the bus and its passengers.

Also if 10 people got on a bus with coffee you can pretty much guarantee that 3 or 4 of the cups will be left dumped on the seats/floor once the person leaves the bus.

Gimme, why don't you put yourself in the shoes of the driver, who regularly has to put up with a ton of **** during the day ? It might seem like one measly cup of coffee to you, but if you add all of those drink cartons and other rubbish that accumulate over the course of a day together you might think twice about it yourself.

davej

• Advertisement
Advertisement