Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN XP Hanging when shutting down

Options
  • 15-10-2003 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My pc keeps hanging when shutting down. Sometimes it shuts down. if its on for a long time it hangs shutting down.

Spec is as follows:

MSI 648 Max motherboard
    p4 2.5ghz
    512mb pc 3200 ram
    128 radeon 9000 pro

Any suggestions?

Its really annoying!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i've the exact same problem actually. It says shutting down, but it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it might be clearing out the page file.

how long is the hang roughly?

if its 20 to 40 seconds it's clearing the page file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

oh mine just hangs until i have to manually switch off the switches at the back. So strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i think there is a patch for this somewhere out there on the the internet somewhere, most likely at microsoft
    i heard people having this problem before and i think they had to get a patch to sort it out as it was a problem with xp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try the usual stuff - is it set to hibernate ?
    Turn off all power management..
    Are you on a network ?
    Do you have any programs/services running in the background (eg: malware / messangers / AV) and if you stop all them does it then shutdown cleanly

But first have you gone to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and downloaded ALL the patches and updates (except the Digital Copyright Snitch programs)

in command prompt for XP Pro (home ?)
    Shutdown -f -s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I've a similar issue on a computer that i installed for a friend. Its a dell dimension, so all the OS and stuff were installed. its running WinXP Pro and when u go to restart it it takes ages to reboot. Like after the dell logo screen part comes, the screen goes black and the cursor just blinks in the top left hand corner. Thats usual but it does this for about 5/10mins? its well annoying. its doesn't hang when its shutting down though. And its brand new, like 1 and half old.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sorry, 1.5 years is not new because, as Greg Moore pointed out back in the 1960's, you can fit twice as many components on the same piece of silicon over that time. - Also on a more practical level there have been tons of patches and updates since then..
    Check the Dell web site with the tag no to see if any new drivers/BIOS have been released since the PC was shipped.

Unfortunately Microsoft (and most tech support people) have this strange concept of not trouble shooting a problem until all know service packs and bug fixes have been applied. Which is fair 'cos if a problem is solved by an existing fix..

Anyway - check the sizes of C:\pagefile.sys and c:\hiberfile.sys - esp. if the option to clean down the pagefile has been selected.

Note: there was a patch for Win98 SE 'cos it used to hang when shutting down while logged into a Domain.

Advertisement