Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea Sick

• 15-10-2003 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

How do I get rid of this curse? There must be some cure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Lean overboard, think of all the beer you had the night before and whatever the hell you ate when you came out of the pub drunk.....

.... a minute or two and a wipe of the mouth later and you're good to go :cool:

/edit

Speaking from recent experience, the only thing to do after staring at the horizon is to get off the boat. either into the water with a tank on your back or back onshorem whichever is handiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

The best thing you can do for sea sickness is go up on deck and keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible. Sea sickness is caused because your inner ear which controls balance can detect the pitching and rolling of the boat but your eyes see the boat which is moving relative to you and so the environment appears static resulting in conflicting information being fed to your brain and that makes you feel sick. Staring at the horizon has the effect of syncronizing the information from your inner ear and your eyes.

Cheers
    Ryan

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There are also pills to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

As well as the physiological causes (middle ear and balance) there is a huge psychological cause of sea sickness (or motionsickness)

Sea sickness tablets can help - so can avoiding the fumes from the boats engine. Acupressure bands or hypnotherapy is an alternative treatment.

Perseverence though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Fresh ginger is supposed to be good.
    I dunno how true this is but apparently on Asgard they did a trial where half the crew had ginger and the other half didn't,the half with ginger had no sickness whereas most of the others did!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I had it real bad once on a competent crew long weekend on the way west out of Kinsale in advancing seas.

Our Skipper advised us, if we feel sick, do something, anything to keep your mind occupied. I got sick and felt miserable and still bad.(eat an orange..even though all it does is make the taste and smell that bit easier to cope with next time you get sick) My turn on helm, 2-3 mins into helming I felt pefect.

Also....if you are prone to seasickness, DONT GO DOWN BELOW (into the cabin)! Makes it all the worse.

I know yachtmasters with thousands of seamiles who still get seasick....

HTH... James

Advertisement