Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TKD Beginner

Options
  • 15-10-2003 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone have any tips/advice for a "newbie" taking up TKD for the first time ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Persevere.

Make sure you're fit.

Listen to criticism.

Damn well enjoy it.

Have a look at other martial arts as well. It can give you helpful ideas to incorporate that one style alone might not teach you. Comes in handy when sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Be prepared to give it a few months for co-ordination to take hold. I despaired that I would never get my coordination right, but after a few months it became natural. So just stick with it.

And listen to your instructor, most of them are sound and know what they're about. Always be respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Thanks a lot - sounds like good advice.
    Originally posted by Sarky
    Persevere.

Yeah I'd say that perseverence is the key in the beginning - just to give yourself a chance to get into it.

If anyone has any more, please keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Don't be a wuss, the first time you get a broken rib.... it's like a badge of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Or your first blood nose in a spar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

If some-one hits you really hard during sparring just smile and assure them thats it fine - it didn't really hurt. Then when they left their guard down - BAM, lets see how they like it.

Seriously though, take training slowly at first. Maybe twice a week, most clubs reccommend 3 times a week but take a few baby steps when starting out.

If you train in a martial art its impossible not to enjoy yourself, and smile when you go arse over head when trying to execute a head height kick , it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Stretching is highly enjoyable.

It reminds me of women.........

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Originally posted by Typedef

LOL
    good one
    anyway, i guess theres nothing i could say that others havent already said(im a green belt in itf) but i just say good luck:ninja:

(ooh the ninja)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Getting on well so far and enjoying it. My first grading should be in the next few weeks.
    Originally posted by Typedef

..........yes the stretching is highly enjoyable ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

the only advice i'd give you is don't start training too hard at once, even if the trainer tells you, start little by little and increase gradually

Advertisement