Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Moore's "Dude Where's my Country?"

Options
  • 15-10-2003 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Right so. Who's read it and what did ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only got it yesterday, so I've only read a couple of chapters so far.
    Stupid White Men was brilliant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joanne

It got pretty bad reviews, so I may give it a miss until it hits chapters.
    I'm reading Canal Dreams by Ianin Banks at the mo, but finding it pretty weird. Kind of like his Iain M Banks books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Only got it yesterday, so I've only read a couple of chapters so far.
    Stupid White Men was brilliant though.

thought it was once of the most overated books
    and found his views on the north disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

"Stupid White Men" was one of the most inane books I've ever read, and I'm amazed it had the sucess that it had. The opening chapter was interesting, but the whole book was done in a very sensationalist fashion, with very little references or proof offered throughout. It merely consisted of the authors rantings, stringed together and sold for a tenner to the public.

I'm not going to read the second book, and I probably won't ever give any of his writing the time of day again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by dudara
    "Stupid White Men" was one of the most inane books I've ever read, and I'm amazed it had the sucess that it had. The opening chapter was interesting, but the whole book was done in a very sensationalist fashion, with very little references or proof offered throughout. It merely consisted of the authors rantings, stringed together and sold for a tenner to the public.

Agreed. Really, really dull rant. Another one of those things that was only successful because people tried to ban it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I thought Stupid White Men was entertaining. But only that. I was very sceptical of some of the information supplied in the book. I had the same attitude watching Bowling for Columbine.
    I can't really see why there's so much hype about this guy.. For all the media hype saying "OH MY GOD HES A LEFT WING NUT!!!" he isn't really that left wing.. There's much better writers and speakers out there who don't LIE to sell a book/film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

i think he just gets a kick out of upsetting people and trying to scare people into believing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kelandem

he is an alarmist, that is for sure. and some of his views are slightly vindicating for left-wingers like myself... but he pulls facts out of his arse. the thing is... i kinda like the fact that he's such a popular extremist.. at least he has the american masses looking in another direction for a change. (anyone that ruffles republican feathers..) once you realise most of his rants are shaped to his own over-simplified agenda, it's a nice bit of entertainment - with a revolutionary air about it.

you gotta admit tho, the cartoon sequence about fear in "bowling for columbine" was genius tho.

i have little desire to read "dude", wont it just be a rehash?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by kelandem
    he is an alarmist, that is for sure. and some of his views are slightly vindicating for left-wingers like myself... but he pulls facts out of his arse. the thing is... i kinda like the fact that he's such a popular extremist.. at least he has the american masses looking in another direction for a change. (anyone that ruffles republican feathers..) once you realise most of his rants are shaped to his own over-simplified agenda, it's a nice bit of entertainment - with a revolutionary air about it.

you gotta admit tho, the cartoon sequence about fear in "bowling for columbine" was genius tho.

i have little desire to read "dude", wont it just be a rehash?

Well said!

Advertisement