Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cadburys owned by Coke?

Options
  • 15-10-2003 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I'm a UCD student, and coke is now banned from student union shops AFAIK. I've heard somewhere that cadburys is owned by coke. Is this true? If it is, it also means that the shops can't sell Cadburys products. Are any other well know products owned (even in part) by coke? I don't want to start a debate on the referendum.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Google is your Friend

(Grep for Schweppes too.)

Coca-Cola's brand list is rather extensive. You'll need to get rid of Fanta, Sprite and 7-Up for a start...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

No they are 2 different companies, Cabury Schweppes is a UK company and Coca Cola is a US one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Can you tell us why it is banned? The reason I ask is I am seeing quite a few shops removing Coke from thier stores or giving Pepsi more shefl space in the past couple of weeks.

If it's over the court case, the only thing proven that I know of was they cheated on a competition, the poison claim was totally bogus (but because the guy won his claim, it sounds like it was true).

You will find a lot of these companies are interlinked. There was a no-smoking webiste (outrage.org ? ) that listed the little spider web of cigerette companies that owned food companies.

But that list isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It was banned over the deaths of trade unionists in Colombia. Some say Coke was responsible, other say they aren't. Loadsa stuff'll have to go. I just thought that if Coke owned Cadburys then it'd have to go automatically. But yay! we get to keep our chocolate.

wow missed that story (did a check now).

Guess I won't be drinking DC from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Bah it was one of those debates where only those who wanted to get rid of coke vote whie the rest were too lazy.

how many times do i have to tell you people DEMOCRACY DOESNT WORK!!

Yeah it was really close, as far as I know.
    Give it a month or two and a 'Bring back coke' campaign will start up and people who were inconvienced will vote in force.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: If it's over the court case, the only thing proven that I know of was they cheated on a competition,

Remember PEPSI and the guy who collected 11 million tokens for harrier jump jet as advertised on TV ?
    Or the competition in the Philipines where too many people won so they didn't pay out and there were litterly killings over it ?

Pepsi and Coke are two different companies.

I was talking about this case.
    http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/ap/ap_story.html/Financial/AP.V5647.AP-Coca-Cola-Lawsu.html;COXnetJSessionID=1NWXWjLvEbWVRMB2QpNAqfpMDqOY1oMJJOLXxIy4f9U22cCQxqNh!76850718?urac=n&urvf=10662437354010.21135717486518413

What is intresting about the story is (and it has been changed everywhere since I went back), the guy was claiming a lot of things, one of which that coke knew there was poisonious substances in thier cans from some machine. It was proven false, but intresting that the stories have dropped it.

Also while trying to find that story I came across this one..

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/6966448.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I had a feeling there was a Cadbury-Schweppes connection with Coke so I went digging on cocacola.co.uk its a stupid flash site but if you go ....about us .... facts ....bottle franchising.pdf (the 4th one) you'll see that they have a joint venture that does most of their UK bottling.
    Ireland's in the clear tho synth so your choccy is safe-ish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Another question to add to daveirl's (welcome back btw): Is there still a ban on Nestle products in UCD or was that ever actually implemented or passed?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by daveirl
    Back to the UCD stuff who actually banned it? Was it the shops decision or was it boycotted first and then the shop decided not to stock it or what?
    It was put to a referendum of the members of the SU and I'd imagine it was banned from all SU-run outlets. Is the campus shop in UCD run by the SU like it is here in NUI,G?

On the same topic, we've had two attempts (before my time, so more than 4 years ago) to ban Nestle products from campus. I think it was defeated both times. Meanwhile we have some protectionist regulation in place that only allows Irish newspapers to be sold in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

A lot of evidence of the new ban at lunch today, noticed big red coca cola banner outside the student union building and everyone I was eating with drinking diet or regular coke. So we honestly didn't think they had won the vote!

I hope coke find some grouds to sue the shit out of them. They could have at least gone after something big like cigarettes or ... America :eek: Did it make the 9 o'clock news?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by sceptre
    Another question to add to daveirl's (welcome back btw): Is there still a ban on Nestle products in UCD or was that ever actually implemented or passed?
    I think the nestle ban is only in TCD. It's still in effect though.

The ban mean that SU shops can't sell Coke (or it's subsidaries) or accept sponsorship. You can still buy Coke from vending machines owned by the college, but for 40% more (good ol' SU, making students pay more). Nestle is still banned, but again you can get it form the vending machines.

It was banned over people dying in a bottling plant in colombia, irish coke comes from ireland, so it's the company, that matters. If it's coke, then it technically should be banned.

I've heard people saying that there is an argument for banning Cadburys aswell. All someone'd have to do is inform that SU that cadburys would have to be banned, and they'd have to remove it.

As for suing, someone mention that they might sue but for using the coke logo in the campaign posters, but it'd probably be a bad PR move for coke.

Hehe, spot the student from the small college ;)
    Is the campus shop in UCD run by the SU like it is here in NUI,G?
    There are 4 SU shops in UCD. It's mad because in Science, where ther's a shop, there is also vending machines 3 metres away that sell coke, but 40% dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It would be nice to see Cadbury banned - might get some decent chocolate on the shelves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

dont these fools in UCD know that they are affecting irish jobs only and hurting their own economy by this stupid and il-informed ban... its a typical jump on the band-wagon student protest..

UCD is the size of a small town.. this will have a big affect on coke's production in ireland.... not columbia

If they did some research and actually knew that coke sold in ireland is bottled in ireland.. not columbia..

their cause is just and noble, but its totally out of context.. go and protest in columbia.. dont affect irish jobs...

my 2c..

Anti-coke campaigners said that other colleges might do a ban after UCD did, so watch out. Also affecting coke financially is the aim of the ban, maybe coke'll change...

Jobs'll probably be lost in the SU shops though, and the SU'll lose money. The SU is not ment to police the world.

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    dont these fools in UCD know that they are affecting irish jobs only and hurting their own economy by this stupid and il-informed ban... its a typical jump on the band-wagon student protest..
    They do know that irish coke is made and bottled here.
    But they feel that a life is a life is a life.
    *shrug*
    Them daft kiddies...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All they do here is take the imported powder (with it's secrete formula*) and add water, sugar and carbon dioxide in an automated bottling plant. So the number of jobs is quite small - and besides people would have to drink something else so the ancillary jobs in sales / distribution would be the same in any case.

*how do they know it is safe if no one knows what's in it ?
    also why did they ditch "coke classic" when they brought out cherry coke - conspiracy theory would say it's because they could not continue to sell the original product for legal or health reasons..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I honestly believe it only got through due to student apathy. The students who felt strongly, the political activists, voted no. The majority probably forgot to vote or weren't arsed and so it got through. In reality I imagine the sheer majority of people either want coke or just don't care at all, but it's too late for that.
    The reason I believe this, btw, is because I was in the student's union in Trinity and the exact same type of thing happened there. It was such apathy that got the whole re-affiliation with the USI in Trinity even though the turnout vote was appalling (they even resorted to bribing people with sweets just to get them to vote in the elections).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Somebody earlier suggested that this demonstrates that democracy doesn't work, but I don't get that. There was a vote and something happened, what's not working? If people are too lazy or stupid to vote, that's their lookout. Boo hoo.

As to the Coke employee statements, I feel sorry for them, but Coke is a multinational company and so must be dealt with multinationally. It's highly unlikely Coke is going to listen to the locals, so I don't see why people shouldn't help them out if they can.

The jobs might be here but the profits aren't. They pay 12.5% tax in Ireland and the rest is shifted to the U.S. I think that's an important factor.

adam

Originally posted by ixoy
    I honestly believe it only got through due to student apathy. <snip>
    The reason I believe this, btw, is because I was in the student's union in Trinity and the exact same type of thing happened there. It was such apathy that got the whole re-affiliation with the USI in Trinity even though the turnout vote was appalling (they even resorted to bribing people with sweets just to get them to vote in the elections).

Ioxy, from the point of view of someone that's been in TCD as a student and as a postgrad, there's a simple reason why there's such apathy towards the SU - you never got anything done.

Remember eight years ago, when a female student was raped on campus and there was a huge cry for more security guards on duty? And the college looked at getting more CCTV cameras? The SU held this large vote - do you want cameras or guards. The student body overwhelmingly voted for guards (on the basis that a rape prevented is better than a rape recorded on VCR), and there was high turnout because this was something that affected us, directly and nastily.

What happened?

The SU went to college with the results, and the college bought cameras instead of hiring guards.

So why bother wasting time on the SU if you couldn't even get in guards to stop on-campus rapes?

And that was the attitude of every woman and most of the men in my year, both in my class and out of it.

Originally posted by Syth
    Anti-coke campaigners said that other colleges might do a ban after UCD did, so watch out.

Yeah I recently saw a poster in DCU for a "Columbian Coke Bust", or something of that nature and I was like "yeaaah man that sounds fuked up" but then it turned out they were trying to ban coca cola. I really couldn't be arsed voting in such a vote, and there's loads of people like me who just don't give a shít - and thats the only reason it will get through. Self-righteous tripe if you ask me

In reality I imagine the sheer majority of people either want coke or just don't care at all, but it's too late for that.
    bingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Cadbury products will have to be banned also, as Coca-Cola Ireland recently took over distribution of their products in Ireland (which ones exactly, it is hard to tell). See page 21 of this PDF report:
    http://www.entemp.ie/mergerann00.pdf
    It doesn't say what the certain businesses are, but with such close links, it would be a bit hypocritical to ban one and not the other.

In reality I imagine the sheer majority of people either want coke or just don't care at all, but it's too late for that.

Wrong - you have 60 days before the ban is enacted to call for another referendum. Shades of Fianna Fail there, as someone said on the radio this morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Universities are about jobs. The concept that people attend them for an education went out the window a long time ago. As such with an increase of semesterization, competition and vocational courses the rate of political activism (or even awareness) has accordingly decreased. For the majority of students, you go home from college the moment your lectures are over rather than hang around the Student’s Union Offices drinking coffee for six hours.

What remains tends to be a core group of hacks who tend to complain about student apathy but seem oblivious to the fact that the majority of their fellow students are there for a qualification and nothing else. It’s not 1968 anymore. Deal with it.

For a company like Coca Cola or Nestlé (that was also banned in UCD at some stage) this is little more than a PR irritation - UCD may be the size of a small town, but that doesn’t mean that the sale of Coke would reflect that. For the career hacks, this is something that may help them on the road to the coveted (and more importantly paid) sabbatical positions in USI and its constituent student unions. For the ordinary student, it was probably a brief diversion, already forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It'll have practically no impact financially on Coca-Cola at all. Even if the ban goes ahead, it will only apply to SU Shops. The cafe's, sandwich bars, restaurants, vending machines, and non-SU shops will all still sell Coke and its products, and there is always one or the other of the above within about a 30 second walk of a SU shop, often you'd reach the alternative before you'd reach the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yes but at least its a stand, no matter how small it is.

Advertisement