Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tax's:Fast Food, ATM and Chewing gum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Here's a thing...

I will have to pay a tax every time I choose to get a receipt printed, which I only need to do because my bank have a habit of making "mistakes".

However, when they send me my credit card bill this month, they will include a handy envelope for me to send my payment...only I have NEVER utilised this, because I have 24 hour banking. Who has to recycle this? Me. And if I choose to simply throw it in the bin? I have to pay.

Anyone with an MBNA credit card will recieve not one, but TWO glossy leaflets with their bill, none of which is needed, and will probably get four extra credit card checks as well. Will MBNA have to pay a tax on contributution to our waste problems?

I'll have no problem paying an ATM receipt tax, when the government tackle these companies who contribute a great deal more towards the problem than I ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Chewing Guns costs an absolute bomb to clean off the pavements of Dublin, I amn't to sure about the fast-foot tax, but I am certain about chewing gum.

I chew gum as much as the next man (stops me from chewing pens), but when you walk down the streets of Dublin, and the a new street like henry street, the marble is already destroyed with the bloody stuff, its time to do something.

Ideally I would have a litter warden on the street 24/7 fining people, but then people would accuse the warden of being a money spinner, ala the tax.

So here is the problem for all those who cry 'Double Taxation', our city is destroy with chewing gum, the proud victorian pavements of the city are fully of this filthy grim, it costs a fortune to clean off, if not this tax, what ? what is the alternative, asking people nicely not to little ? that has worked so well so far hasn't ? you can't appeal to the Irish persons better self ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by MDR
    So here is the problem for all those who cry 'Double Taxation', our city is destroy with chewing gum, the proud victorian pavements of the city are fully of this filthy grim, it costs a fortune to clean off, if not this tax, what ? what is the alternative, asking people nicely not to little ? that has worked so well so far hasn't ? you can't appeal to the Irish persons better self ?
    Having a campaign that penalises the offenders seems to have slowed some of the drivers down! Why can't it work for litter? How about something like just random targeting of bad spots. Surely people will get the message. Also have a fine like 100€ for first time and something like 1000€ for second+ time offenders. If they can't pay have an option of court and perhaps prison. Or do what they did with that guy that was caught urinating on O Connell St a few years ago. (He was made stand there with a sign around his neck proclaiming what he'd done for at least a few hours!). It just needs a bit of will and perhaps a little money and the problem can be drastically reduced at worst.

Advertisement