Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to prevent getting cut off when online?

• 15-10-2003 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi,
    i'm on utvip xl all day now, and its annoying when people phone the landline because it cuts out the internet connection on the second attempt to get through (i think).

is this because of call waiting, or is there a modem setting to prevent it happening?

thanks
    tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I think you need to have call waiting turned off.
    Used to happen to me until i had it turned off.
    There is a sound when a call is waiting and this cuts your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

#43# turns it off
    *43# turns it on

Put the former in front of your 1893 number with a comma

#43#,ath,OT1893 etc etc

(letter O)

Put the latter AFTER the hangup string in your registry, search for ATH in the registry and change it to

ATH,OT*43#,ATH

(letter O)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭zero_mac

hi
    thanks for the tips. it didn't work too well though. when i dialled #43#,1893... (with no dialling rules), it just rang out and then went engaged after about 20 rings. i tried phoning the number through my handset just to double check and the same thing happened. it didn't get through to the ISP at all during the call.

i think it did disable call waiting though because i get a busy tone when i try and ring the landline now when its engaged.

shame i can't get it to turn on and off only for internet though because its a kind of handy feature.

i'm using win2003 server. i tried using the dialing rules also, and entering #43# as the code to disable call waiting. windows put a space instead of a comma between the #43# and the 1893 number and i tried it but still no joy.

if anyone knows how to work around this, i'll give it a try
    thanks
    tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

My advice to you would be to get a second line installed, or better yet, broadband.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

V.92 modems claim to handle call waiting. (there's a setting in the control panel for it to automatically hangup or else just notify you). Not sure if it works with Eircom call waiting system though.

• Advertisement

aye, i think the same. but the estate i live in has prehistoric cables, even though its only 5 years old.
    it'll probably be only a few more months till eircom get it upgraded anyhow, lots of digging going on around limerick at the mo :) so i won't bother investing in a temporary solution of a second line.

thanks anyway
    tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Matfinn
    My advice to you would be to get a second line installed, or better yet, broadband.

Matt

thats not exactly solving his problem now is it, its not very economical to upgrade every time u have a problem with technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

This will fix it, Disable operator assisted dialling.

hey rander,
    operator assisted dialing is already disabled. any other ideas?

thanks
    tim

Advertisement