Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Vs PC (new twist?)

Options
  • 06-08-1999 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Hmmm okay, so imagine there's this great new game for these internet enabled consoles. It'll probably run off NT/Unix servers, but would there be a possible PC client? Would it happen that PC gamers might meet Console gamers online in the near future, in the *same* game?

I think the lpb/hpb and q1/q2 rivalries could seem pale in comparason to a PC/Console rivalry.

Just a thought - if anyone has a comment, I'd love to hear it. Shinji?

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Darkedge

Im sure games companys at this very moment are sorking on ways to make this happen.

although the dream of the new sega machiene being free online is nolonger true, this will slow it down in terms of demand, (this is in japan, but we might be lucky and escape the charge over here) but no doubt someone has a cash making scheme up his/her sleave and will develop nice games for pc/console interaction.

but can you imagine playing quake1 on
    PC (nice), Vs N64(quake was sh!t).
    PC peeps would muppet them like there was no tomorrow.

ahh well

[This message has been edited by Darkedge (edited 06-08-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

This will be common-place. Each of the Quake titles released so far have made it onto consoles. Quake3 will be available on 3 platforms out of the box. There's little doubt that by the time Quake4 (or whatever) comes out, it will be released for PCs and consoles at the same time - if the specs of the Playstation 2 are to be believed, it will be quite capable of handling such a game.

At that stage, I wouldn't be surprised to see consoles coming with NICs as standard, for plugging into cable modem or ADSL equipment, so console gamers will not necessarily be stuck with high pings. Lets just hope for their sake that the console people get mice and keyboards with their machines, or they will be SO owned. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Up until a few weeks ago the PS2 was classed as a super computer. So it's believable.

Never seen the fascination myself with Consoles, they always seemed like a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yeah Hobbes, but if you could get a cool online buzz from the consoles, an awful lot of people's perceptions would change... I mean, I, along with many many others here, upgraded my machine for the simple reason of more FPS in Quake (ie a better online gaming experience). That costs a lot of cash, and so if a low-cost gaming only machine offered that performance to me, I'd get it, and leave the PC at the same spec. After all, it'd do all the office/development stuff pretty much okay.

Dan

The problem is, is it going to be low cost gaming? I don't think so. And buying a console to go online solely for games is proberly only going to be rich... Can you see the mother now listening as her kid says they want a game console so they can rack up the phone bill? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

True, but in 2 years time a lot of households across the world will have an always-on connection like ADSL or Cable, and costs will have gone down considerably. I don't think it will be much of an issue.

In fact, I can see a gaming-system-on-a-chip being integrated with a set-top unit and digital TV decoder, which you would get as a single black box to connect to your TV when you sign up to a service like Cablelink.

Cablelink at al will be running game servers as part of their service before long.. finally server admins you could really complain at in good conscience! Not to mention the fact that always-on services mean staticly assigned IP addresses for everyone, which will make banning undesirable elements from game servers an awful lot easier.. smile.gif

Teeth.

and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's ass when it hopped smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wasnt' the PS2 classed as a super-computer because of America's ancient standards system?
    anyway the NV10 will blow it away..
    muhahahhaa

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Unreal Tournament will be out on the PS2 so we`ll see what happens cause thats a multiplayer type game like q3 will be. bot challenges.....

plus if your gonna buy a mouse and keyboard aren`t you just on a games only computer????

Ro.

Ronin
    ronin@qamex.com
    www.qamex.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

PC vs Console? It'll never work for serious competitions. Even if keyboards and mice are to be standard features of consoles they would be playing against pak editing muppets (you know who you are). It's not about skills anymore, it's about how many hacks you can find.

In an ideal world. Everyone should be playing from a console as people would be using the same equipment and it'd be pretty hard to pak edit etc (not impossible cause I'm sure someone will find a way...).

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 07-08-99).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement