Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen real estate wasted

Options
  • 15-10-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭

I bought a 19" monitor for a reason! ;)
    The boards homepage wastes 1/3 of the screen whilst simultaneously chopping thread names to very short names.

This makes meh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Ok, maybe not but I feel it's an issue.

Regarde: (attachment)

As one can see, the whowhatwhere table should be widened to the remaining %age of the screen (ie, screen - lhs menu - rhs ad bar = post table width)

It is what it's.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Given that I occasionally browse boards (for test purposes honest) on various servers with crap monitors that don't do anything more than 800x600 I'd be annoyed if anything messed that up.

I'm sure the countless users out there that steadfastly refuse to move up to a reasonable res like 1064x768 would back me up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by amp
    Given that I occasionally browse boards (for test purposes honest) on various servers with crap monitors that don't do anything more than 800x600 I'd be annoyed if anything messed that up.

I'm sure the countless users out there that steadfastly refuse to move up to a reasonable res like 1064x768 would back me up here.

I'm sure the centre table could be made as a % though so it fits all Res.

Maybe it's not viable in this case.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sinclair

OH SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS
    something like this bothers you?? Did u ever hear of a thing called a LIFE??? ROFLMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Tags using %s would work well. Its only the frontpage anyway ffs , the rest of the site is fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

mentioned this before as a quick fix 'till a redesign...
    Move the Spider pic over and down to the left under the Quick Links bar. Mover the Zeddy pic down opposite it to the right of the POTM stuff (so all the crap stuff is down at the bottom of the page).
    Shop link gets more prominent by being alone, and then allow the 'What' column of the latest threads table to expand out he extra 125px or so.

Would look less scrunched up and would probably only take a few minutes work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by amp
    Polls indicate that very few people still use 800 x 600 and stuff like that, e.g. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86230&highlight=screen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Aren't they rewriting the home page in a new and groovy way anyway?

We've been waiting a while for it actually - what's the status of it now?

Perhaps making it resizable with the browser window (by using percentages) would be a factor in this new page.

I'm tired...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

friend of mine has that problem. Only in mozilla though, IE6 makes it all sexeh :) .

Heil Gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Eeew! I just touched IE :(

Heh, anyway IE5.5 exhibits the same issue.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maybe if you could let users select their font size in the browser...
    or in the USER CP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement