Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addicted To Boards

Options
  • 15-10-2003 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel like they're addicted to this site? Lately, I've been spending more and more time on Boards than any other sites put together! I've noticed this trend among other people in my house too. Jesus_Thats_Great has got his posting average up to 7 a day now, which is pretty impressive by anyone's standards. I'm down at a mere 2, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with my poor initial uptake. On Monday morning, I'd made 185 posts. By Tuesday afternoon, I'd reached 225! And they were 2 working days!

I've even gone so far as to make Boards.ie my homepage at work. This is an inevitable distraction - I fail to get any work done at all. However, it does stop me from having to go to the trouble of changing page anyway, because I'd probably just do so if I had a different homepage.

Is this a healthy obsession? Does anyone else feel more addicted? And more importantly, is there an easy way to get un-addicted, if it becomes too much to deal with?

I'm even considering paying for the bloody home-delivered Boards.ie pack! And I'm broke!

:f33r:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sinclair

"addicted" and "obsession" to an internet website
    WHAT A NERD
    YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME LAUGH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh I'm addicted alright, but I see it more as a hobby or like another room in my gaff which I spend a lot of time in.

But yes, it can take up too much of your time on occasion and that's when you know it's time to go for a walk or buy a new game or something. Like any non-chemically addictive thing Boards is only truly addictive if it fills something that's already missing in your life.

Either that or YOUR A NERD! HAHAHA GET A LIFESTYLE! ROLROALORAMOAMOA! IMAGINE GOING ONTO A WEBSITE AND REGISTERING TO SLAG OTHER PEOPLE FOR POSTING TO IT! OH WAIT THAT'S THAT OTHER GUY! HHAHAHA! AND HE'S PROBABLY TOO STUPID TO GET ANOTHER E-MAIL ADDRESS AND SIGN UP AGAIN!!! LOLOLOLOLOROFTAGIIOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

I have to say that I am not yet addicted but I like to browse while in work, especially once I finish a job off, then it is my treat...sad I know, but such is life!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Oh hell yeah i'm addicted. Even during college labs i can't stop checking boards. In fact i'm doing it right now. It's an addiction i can live with though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm not addicted

I can give up when ever I want
    but I'm no quitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It seems the more you post, the more you want to come back and see what people have said in reply.
    Simple solution - post less, just read the threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

/me shakes fist at utv for giving cheap internet.

boards is always the first browser window open & the last to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I'm not addicted

I can give up when ever I want
    but I'm no quitter

Denial?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nope not addicted.
    Sometimes I find this place goes through very leen spells tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Rehab is for quitters

My addiction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm addicted to web forums in general after I used swear I'd never get involved. It all started with one post, just one post, I didn't think I'd get addicted, I was wrong. After some time, those single posts just didn't have the same effect, so I had to post 2 posts, then 3 posts. The more I posted, the more the quality of my posts deteriorated, I just wasn't reaching the same intellectual highs. I began to slip down the slippery path known as "spamming the boards".

Yeah, all my friends were doing it so I just felt pressurised into posting. Although before boards I was mainlining on a USENET feed and thought webboards were just a fad.

And look at me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Dim

its ok ... you'll grow out of it.... maybe leave college.... or get a job where computers aren't involved ... lol... become a builder ... start whistling at chicks .... or become a hairdresser and have intelligent conversations with your customers ... that is way more meaningfull and fullfilling than this... right?

besides only nice things are addictive ... you make addiction sound like a bad thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by amp
    And look at me know.
    Do we have to?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mildly addicted.

Full of clever people and interesting discussion, as well as large amounts of strange twaddle and the odd moron.

It's a nice "place", and cheaper than the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with amp!

Started on Usenet, joined here, have been posting enough to have over 7,000 posts (averaging five a day apparently, although its only one or two a day these days) in 3 and a half years.

/me stands up.

Hello, I'm Bard, and I'm a Boards-a-holic.

Originally posted by Sarky
    Mildly addicted.

Full of clever people and interesting discussion, as well as large amounts of strange twaddle and the odd moron.

It's a nice "place", and cheaper than the pub.
    Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    Jesus_Thats_Great has got his posting average up to 7 a day now,
    Ha, mere mortal.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< see here

I'm planning something special (like passing out WWM) for my third anniversary (48 days, 218 posts).

I nearly account for 1% of boards, thats scary. And when I get a subscription, my tag will be "Addict".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Still, if there was a way to get un-addicted, I'd love to hear it. This is affecting my work as I speak.

(Not that they want you to become un-addicted).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Get banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joanne

I'm pretty addicted. Not to this particular board (as I've just registered) but to others.
    But only when it's quiet in work. During busy times, I just plain forget to go on. When it's quiet, i do nothing else.
    But discussion boards are the main reason I don't have internet connection at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I used to have a post counth of 10+ a day, thats when i knew i needed to cut back. But ever since UTV (bastards) gave me cheap always on broadband, boards is running my life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

nothing is addictive except, fishing and being a boy scout and looking at boy scouts and watching them go fishing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by tman
    /me shakes fist at utv for giving cheap internet.

boards is always the first browser window open & the last to close.

Bang on the money....

Sadly! :ninja:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Whaddya mean addicted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I can stop any time I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Still, if there was a way to get un-addicted, I'd love to hear it. This is affecting my work as I speak.

(Not that they want you to become un-addicted).

So much for leaving college as a solution, eh? I too am stiiting here in work. Its 10:20am, I have a cup of tea and a Taxi bar, and I'm in the mood to do a couple of hours of absolutely nothing! Look out boards.ie, here I come again!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why does this thread make me feel like....

98childcatcher.jpg

:)

DeV.

(only the oldies or classic filmbuffs will get that I bet :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hmm looks like a child catcher to me...!

Mike.

Advertisement