Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Hobb - Getting tired?

Options
  • 15-10-2003 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Just finished Fools Fate - Vol 3 of Tawny Man. Its a whopper at 800 pages. But I must say I am disappointed. Vol 1 was a cracker, Vol 2 nothing happened and - this one well lets just say its as badly paced as Vol 2.

This trilogy seems to have less power, than even the Liveship Traders (which was likewise down in power compared to the Farseer Trilogy)

I usually am really gutted when reaching the end of a good series, coz I know it even if I re-read it, it will never be quite as good as the first time I read it. Minor
    But this series is fairly anti-climatic, or rather the major climax happens around page 500 giving us 300 pages of Epilogue.

In retrospect her writing seems to have lost the emotional range it had in Farseer, from sickening brutality to Passionate love. This trilogy also seems to have lacked the central solid plot of the other two.

What do you lot think? (Yes I realise its only been out a little while)

Having said all that I still think I will be getting her next in hardback. Although strangely enough her Megan Lindholm books dont interest me at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah crap. I've only read Volume I and was looking forward to the next two. Now... not so much.

What is her next book anyway? More books in the same 'verse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Dont know if there will be a next one or whether it will be in the same universe. Most of the threads seem to get tied off but thats never stopped her before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

damn sorry to hear its a weak book , im still eager to read it though....

although i was a huge fan of the second book despite its slow pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its not weak exactly its just not up to her usual standard. Still way above the average. But ya know what its like, when you've read the farseer books you expect too much :)

If you liked the second you will like the third I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

it's weak? aaaaaaarg. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *shoots self inna head*

• Advertisement

book finally arrived gonna get stuck into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was gonna get it in hardback today but it was near on thirty quid in the local bookshop, I think I will wait intil the paperback comes out.

i got it for roundabouts £9.99 from amazon i think

just finished it btw , i liked it anyway

i probably amn't a good judge if its actually a good book though cause anything with Fitz in it seems amazing to me, he just owns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Finished Fools Fate last night. Don't really want to put in any spoilers so all I'll say is that I think it was a 'nice' ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I have to say I enjoyed the whole series, a few ppl have said the second book is weak but I liked them all regardless of others opinions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement