Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energizer toddler

Options
  • 15-10-2003 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi, we've an 18 month son who won't settle down till 10-11pm each evening.

HIs sleeping pattern includes waking at 9am. He has a 1 hour sleep @ 3 ish, then he's charged up & operating on all cylinders till 10pm & then he fights sleep for as long as he can.

If you stop the 1 hour sleep, he transforms into Mr. Grumpy, becomes overtired & your looking at him through closing eyelids at 12, dreaming of tying him to a walker to make him tired.....

We've tried putting him down at 9 for a few days on the trot but he's no interest...

Maybe this is a passing phase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

From my experience it's all about routine. Great tip is to give him a bath an hour before bed. Create a relaxed atmosphere. Read him a bedtime story. When you put him to bed STICK TO YOUR GUNS. It make take a few nights before he realises this is bedtime and they are sticking to it.

Tbh at 18 months he will probably still need the hour sleep during the day. My son needed it until about 6 months ago (he is 4 since June). We have learnt that keeping a strict routine when it comes to bedtime is the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We had the same with out lil girl.
    It was such a struggle and if we did manage to get her asleep by 8 or 9 she would wake up full of life at 1 am.

Routine is the key, a bath, pjs, and quiet time routine. Maybe he just does not like going to his room. We had to but her in the buggy and let her watch winne the pooh till she would drop off and then lift her to bed.

I know there are those who will decry this but it was the only thing that worked and we needed sleep. When my mother used to see the sleep worn face on me should would laugh and say I was the same at that age

Now she is 3 and it's Pjs at 7:30 and in bed by 8 and asleep by 8:10pm.
    And if we get late or distracted dur to visitors she toddles off and getting into bed with her fimble saying " I'm tired"

Right now it is really rough on you but you will get through it and he will change. Maybe taking him out for walk will help. Not in the buggy but on a set of baby reins, to tire him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Cheers for the prompt replies, it always has been a battle & its easy to see we're in his routine!

We had to but her in the buggy and let her watch winne the pooh

I've brought our lad for spins in the car to knock him out!! but that was during the teething time. Anything for sleep!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

know the feeling, my 2 year old daughter is similar, i dont know where she gets her energy from but she seems permentanly hyper , she is also a very poor eater, but as for the sleeping thing, i believe it will settle down, my one does the night now but finds it hard to get off to sleep most nights, she also sleeps during the day especially after play school (which she loves),
    she finds it easier to sleep with her soother and her teddy and makes teddy wave nite nite to me every night, maybe try these tips then
    * be strict if u can
    * read a book to him before u leave the room
    * try a cuddly toy for comfort or a shirt or something wit your scent on it
    * use a little nite light in the room
    *set up a routine and try not to play too much in the hour before bed.
    good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

if your baby is active I wouldnt worry about the day time nap. Im 26 and still like a nap. But seriously up untill I was about 10 I took an hour nap every day. I think the other guys are right. If you can get her into a relaxed atmophear..dim lights soft music and a good story book I think the little lad will soon start to get used to the earlier bed time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveg
    We have learnt that keeping a strict routine when it comes to bedtime is the key.
    Remember you are coming up on the terrible twos so you do need to put the foot down and implement that narcisistic wound (when they realise they aren't the centre of the world).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

A big glass of coke always does they job!
    If they don't like coke try Red Bull...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by KoNiT

I've brought our lad for spins in the car to knock him out!! but that was during the teething time. Anything for sleep!!!

My niece is the same she's teething and no matter how
    cranky she might get when 'round our place on the way home she always falls asleep and will be out for a few hours...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

thanks for all the replies!! here's the result

Bedtime was set at 9pm & proved difficult enough for the first week, but he did settle down to it & now regularly falls asleep within 15 - 30 minutes of going to bed.

Aunties, Uncles & grandparents were warned that if they want to see baby to call over earlier to prevent Toddler getting too excited for bedtime.

Sometimes he sleeps through the night, more often not though as when he wakes at 2 or 3 in the morning he sleeps in our bed till 9 or 10

Again thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

oh congratulations hope it keeps up and that you all get a lot more rest and the few precious hours with out him to crash on the sofa too tired to do much but say how tired you both are :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement