Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom aren't at fault.

Options
  • 15-10-2003 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Look, let's be honest, the reason ireland offline exist is becuase genesis europe didn't deliver the 50megs a second to each person, for £50 a month. They had a great thing, I think eircom didn't want them to roll it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Genesis Europe , I thought they were Adam winding us all up :D , especially with that rather obvious Cork connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

you could move this to the humour board best laugh ive had in ages

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by dmd
    Look, let's be honest, the reason ireland offline exist is becuase genesis europe didn't deliver the 50megs a second to each person, for £50 a month. They had a great thing, I think eircom didn't want them to roll it out.

Heartski!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wtf is he on about?

Any good reason why I shouldn't bin this (or transfer it to humour)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me snikkers.

Its no harm i dont think seamus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A bit of elaboration might be nice

Or a punchline... but elaboration would be better

Just remind me, was this supposed to be vDSL or satellite or what?

ooh, look at that - Moriarty is a real mod and I'm only a CMod. Where's my extra star?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They were supposed to by supplying vdsl (iirc ~15mbit) country-wide soon after LLU first appeared here on 1st Jan 2001. Lots of rumours and vapourware later - both here on boards and elsewhere - the company went bust with nothing to show for it. One of the dotbomb casualties.

Arguably their greatest mistake was expecting eircom to play ball when LLU was introduced. Apparently when eircom went down the FUD road, they were stunned. Naïvety died hard back in those heady days. :)

I have no knowledge of this extra star you speak of. Clearly, you are mistaken... *ahem*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dmd

ROFLOL, ah it has been a long time since I thought about GenesisEurope.

BTW IOFFL was created after the Esat NoLimits Fiasco by people on ie.comp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Muck
    Genesis Europe , I thought they were Adam winding us all up :D , especially with that rather obvious Cork connection.
    Heh, I was drinking with the former COO only last night. As I've said before, they were a bunch of extremely clever guys employed by a whirlwind operator who didn't get the whirlwind.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Heh, I was drinking with the former COO only last night. As I've said before, they were a bunch of extremely clever guys

You have admitted to knowingly and willingly consorting with notorious P.I.M.P.S. there Adam...I always suspected you of involvement in that Genesis. Were they anything to the Genesis who used to provide Dial Up ISP services in Cork around 1993-1995 in the early days of 'd'oul'nit' , I suspect they were also in Belfast.

I am an extremely clever guy too, therefore I will NOT promise 15Mb at £50 a month ....to anyone in this country anyway:D

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You have admitted to knowingly and willingly consorting with notorious P.I.M.P.S. there Adam...

Won't be the first time, won't be the last!

I always suspected you of involvement in that Genesis.

I wanted to be involved at the time. The whole thing was more than a bit previous, obviously, but they were a good bunch of guys that wanted to change the face of the Internet in Ireland, and make a tidy sum of money while they were at it. And they got paid pretty good money to play with pretty good gear for a year or so, which is something I totally wouldn't have a problem with. They wouldn't let me party though. In hindsight, perhaps I should have, like, asked.

Were they anything to the Genesis who used to provide Dial Up ISP services in Cork around 1993-1995 in the early days of 'd'oul'nit' , I suspect they were also in Belfast.

No idea. It was run by a guy called Gary Keefe, who was also running a wholesale call minutes operation at the time. He seems to have had the impression that he had exclusive rights to VDSL in Europe at the time, which is where all the bluff and blunder came from. I don't want to defame the guy publicly because he's pretty wealthy and you know what these guys are like with their solicitors, so let's just say that he was an affable guy, but the end result was probably par for the course.

I am an extremely clever guy too, therefore I will NOT promise 15Mb at £50 a month ....to anyone in this country anyway

It was 45 Mbps, or at least that's what he told the world in the newspaper ads. It nearly made the guys cry. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    I am an extremely clever guy too, therefore I will NOT promise 15Mb at £50 a month ....to anyone in this country anyway:D
    If you did, we'd have to change your name from Muck to Mud. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I thought Trolls were Auto Moved to the Recycle Bin? ;)

OHP

Advertisement