Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant 3K/sec Download?

Options
  • 16-10-2003 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and Asok seem to be downloading at 3KiloByte/sec constantly.
    both of us have fresh installs of Win2k, he Sp2 and I just from SP2-Sp4.
    I'm currently installing every critical update I can find.
    netstat-a doesn't reveal much.
    Will post up the output when i've rebooted.
    I don't ahve much installed and running, aside from Bandwidth monitor pro and AVG.
    only noticed it when i'd installed BWMPro.
    I've already applied the MBlastpatch, but it was there before and after that was applied.
    Normally I couldn't care less, but due to us being on netsource and hence capped to 4gig a week, 3K/sec would eat into that pretty bloody quickly if left unchecked (we leave our machines on and connected to the network almost 24/7).
    i never noticed this on my machine's preious install before (Win2kSP4, don't think MBlast patch was applied).
    Possibly MS spyware/"Update Managemner Feature" type bullshit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had a similar type thing happen to me, for a week ..... every time I started the wifes laptop I'd see DUmeter showing loads of network activity .... twas windows update (set to automatically update) :p ... the wife was "fiddling with the settings" ... :rolleyes:

I suppose youve run adaware and any other anti-spyware / virusy type software you could lay your hands on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

You could run ethereal and analyse the packets

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

:)

Haven't got Etheral installed again yet, but thanks for the advice, direct and to the point.

RE: Windows Update, yeah, that's what it was.
    I only found out after I went into services and started stopping anything I didn't like the look of (and Messenger).

She's fixed now, must tell Danny.....

Advertisement