Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney €50 million????

• 16-10-2003 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

It said on the news this morning that Chelsea were launching a bid for Rooney. The price mentioned was €50 million

How true is this???? There's nothing on Sky sports, who are usually on the ball.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well its in The Sun so it has to be true. :rolleyes: it may happen it may not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by smuckers
    Well its in The Sun so it has to be true. :rolleyes:

ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Heard it on the radio as well. £35M stg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Typical English so Over-priced , Michael Owen Was a far better player at the same age IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by Sposs
    Typical English so Over-priced , Michael Owen Was a far better player at the same age IMO.

Oh i dont know about that - they're two different typoe of players though, rooney is more in shearer mould.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by daveg
    Heard it on the radio as well. £35M stg.

yeh thats what i seen when i was watching the news this morning, 35M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

exactly what Chelsea need another striker ! probably loan him back to everton the next day. Too ugly for chelsea anyway.

Doubt there is any truth at all in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

This would go some way towards making the money paid by manu for Ronaldo seem decent.

I'm very dubious about clubs paying that much for teenagers. Rooney does seem a very strong lad for his age and has bags of potential but I would have my reservations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rooney does seem a very strong lad for his age and has bags of potential

50M is a Lot to Pay for Potential. Rooney is very like Shearer but we have to see if he is going to be consistant. If Shearer was in his prime now I doubt you would get that money for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by smiaras
    Don't see why Rooney will move as he'll hardly start for chelsea. Sure hes rested a lot for everton but he'd be mad to move. It'll be good to see whether he does or not considering all the grief he gave Jeffers about being a "true blue"

...jeffers was frowned upon by the whole club and fans and got a fair bit of stick when he came back to goodison:
    "Greedy Bastard! There's only one greedy bastard, There's only....."
    ...all has been forgiven though.

Rooney won't go.
    Everton won't let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On BBC as well, they should sell him 50m is 50m.
    Wonder how true it is, why buy Crespo Mutu when last seasons front 2 werent half bad(when Chelsea played well) and then add a 5th striker to that.
    Makes no sense you only need 4.

kdjac

If there is or was a bid it would be foolish of Everton to reject it. Rooney at most would score 20 goals if he played every game of the season. Everton could buy Mutu and Duff for that price and they would be guaranteed a load of goals and great performances. I know that Rooney will be around for another 15 years or so but players like Mutu and Duff are going to be around for probably 10 years and them two alone would play a big part in getting Everton into the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Everton could buy Mutu and Duff for that price and they would be guaranteed a load of goals and great performances. I know that Rooney will be around for another 15 years or so but players like Mutu and Duff are going to be around for probably 10 years and them two alone would play a big part in getting Everton into the top 5.

No they couldnt...and no they wouldnt.

Do you not know there ridiculously in debt right now?

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    No they couldnt...and no they wouldnt.

Do you not know there ridiculously in debt right now?
    Yes they could and yes the would. If they don't sell Rooney they are still going to be in debt and if they do sell Rooney and buy a few players from the sales they would still be in the same amount of debt. They don't have to spend the money from selling Rooney all on clearing debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

anyway there is no way mutu or duff would go to everton it would be a step down besides they couldnt afford the wages

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    anyway there is no way mutu or duff would go to everton it would be a step down besides they couldnt afford the wages
    They were just players off the top of my head that added up about £35mil. Its like saying, "jaysus, you'd buy 10 Kewells for that".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is it a conincidence that Everton are in £35 million debt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

he's only a petulant little b@stard anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

No they wouldnt eireboy. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Who honestly thinks Rooney is worth 50million. Maybe if he becomes a world class player in the same mould as Raul he would definately be worth that much but now I would be hesitant to pay 20million for him

Originally posted by jonno
    Who honestly thinks Rooney is worth 50million. Maybe if he becomes a world class player in the same mould as Raul he would definately be worth that much but now I would be hesitant to pay 20million for him
    No player in the world is worth 50 million. If you pay 50 million for a player you should get at least that 50 million back in revenue from that player alone which could never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by eireboy
    No player in the world is worth 50 million. If you pay 50 million for a player you should get at least that 50 million back in revenue from that player alone which could never happen.
    He certainly doesn't have the ideal marketable face. Funny that Beckham isn't taking on any more sponsorships - does that make him more valuable to the sponsorships that Real will use him for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

No player in the world is worth 50 million.
    When money is no object then you obviously wouldnt care and would put a bid in that ud think would get you the player that you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Players are always best when they're young, they get more reliable with age but would beckham ever try to chip the keeper from the halfway line these days? Rooney is young and hungry and his pace is devastating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

he's pace is devastating ????. He's only average pace the reason he gets by players is not his pace but his strenght. The most i would pay for this way overrated player is 9m tops !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I know that chelsea are rolling in it, but that would be the biggest waste of 50 million ever!!!! What would the point in them buying a new striker be? Rooney at the moment isnt better than mutu, jimmy floyd, crespo or even eidur. Personally I think he is very overated. He has good strength, moderate pace and is pretty good at running at defenders, but he needs 4 or 5 seasons of scoring 15+ goals before chelsea should even think about him

Advertisement