Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Idea Needed!

Options
  • 16-10-2003 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Right admins, for reasons not worth writing about, this sort of thread keeps comming up in the programming forum. People after told to go f themselves (see here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120048), and yada yada yada. The charter aint that great either. Should we have a sticky with a thread title of "DONT ASK FOR PROJECT IDEAS"?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm in agreement with this. Although maybe we could have a stickied 'Projects Ideas for Students' thread or something. We're pretty hard on students as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

What about a seperate forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

nah i don't think there's a need for that. If we make a "DONT ASK FOR PROJECT IDEAS" thread sticky, and inside it is all the reasons why we don't want that ****e on the programming thread. The reason is that the charter ain't that great, and most students/newbies that ask for project ideas won't bother to read the charter anyway! this way they have no excuses for not reading the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Yes but im sure it would be a useful forum for final year students to get ideas off ppl who have alot moare experience and have been out in the workplace for a few years.

No sposs. it's fair enough if they have an idea, but just looking for someone else to give an idea for their project is sad. So a project ideas forum would kinda be silly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by sjones
    No sposs. it's fair enough if they have an idea, but just looking for someone else to give an idea for their project is sad. So a project ideas forum would kinda be silly :)
    I feel so popular.. Thanks for linking my thread as an example of people asking for project ideas :rolleyes:
    I did have a project idea and it was submitted for approval but after researching it for a week or so I found out it was not possible. That is why I posted the thread in the programming forum. I have another project idea in mind i will be reseaching it at the weekend and submit it on Monday.
    Posting the thread was a way to get other ideas. Kind of hit a mental block when thinking of a project that day.
    As mentioned why not post up a sticky warning posters not to ask for project ideas or have a sticky where people can submit their ideas.

exactly! I mean afaik Trojan has gone awol. So there's only one mod of programming, so we could be waiting a LONG time for any changes to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Rabies
    or have a sticky where people can submit their ideas.

Yep. I don't get annoyed about students asking for project ideas, I just get occasionally sarcastic, but it is a programming forum and it should accommodate all programmers from students onwards. Just as long as they don't want their homework done for them. We need a Magic: The Gathering card for that methinks. Anyone ...

most definately

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

exactly! I mean afaik Trojan has gone awol.

I am not, and have never been, a member of the armed forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Right admins, for reasons not worth writing about, this sort of thread keeps comming up in the programming forum.

"reasons not worth writing about"? How dramatic!

It's the start of the academic year, not some heinous attack on the dweebs of the programming board :)

People after told to go f themselves (see here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120048), and yada yada yada. The charter aint that great either. Should we have a sticky with a thread title of "DONT ASK FOR PROJECT IDEAS"?

Hmm, well I don't consider that being told to "go f themselves", but by the by I think that getting 2 or 3 threads once a year isn't the end of the world.

Having too many stickies is just damned annoying, and we're not going to end up with an untidy mess like that slob WWM on the Work board :)

You're welcome to reply to the Charter and FAQ with suggested changes and new topics.
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83226

That's what it's there for!

Have a nice day y'all :)
    Al.

Making sense is not one past times, is it Trojan? Adding ONE MORE STICKY is not gona make your little nest un-tidy. You only have two stickies.

Getting two or three threads a year isn't the end of the world? Ok maybe not - but it would save alot of time and less re-re-repeating yourself everytime someone asks for project ideas. All i'm suggesting is this:

ONE MORE STICKY titled "DON'T ASK FOR PROJECT IDEAS", and when the newbie clicks on it, inside the lovely new sticky are all of the reasons why.

And then the problem is solved. Ta da. And I've replied here for suggested changes (this is one, incase you didn't know) because i didn't see you or Tallesin in action for a while, so there was no point in replying to the charter on the programming board. Plus i wanted the Admin's thoughts on this.

So run along and add that sticky like a good little ....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Right, uh, I'm a bit slow.

What precisely is wrong with someone asking for project ideas?

I've done it plenty of times and never wondered if it would piss someone off. I mean, I've highlighted it clearly "Project Idea wanted" or "Project input required" or something like that. If you dont like it, surely you wont read it, no?

Also its hard for someone who is learning a new language and is expected to write a program in it when they have no idea of what the actual language itself is capable of.

Personally I'd prefer to work on someone elses idea rather than my own, I'd be afraid I'd set my sights too high or too low.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well apart from people just doing a search for project ideas from ones posted previously?

I always thought the point of being given a project is to use your noggin to think of something good. Not just ask someone else to give it to you.

I find you can get posts answered in programming if you stick a piece of cheese on the mousetrap.

eg. "I WANT A PROJECT IDEA" = Bad.

"I need to think of a project idea. I was thinking of some kind of web services but I am somewhat new to the field so I don't know what is wanted out there. Anyone have any suggestions?" = Good.

Your asking peoples opinions of what could be helpful in that area, which most of the posters there will reply to. Just asking for stuff gets tumbleweed.

Advertisement