Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - broken CD player

Options
  • 16-10-2003 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Sony 3-CD changer stereo and for some time now, each of the CD trays have been dodgy, like not always playing. Now none of the 3 CD trays will play any CDs.

I did try to play a CD cleaner disc and it wouldn't read that. The set up of the CD player is that the tray opens out and not up.

Any ideas how I could fix this or maybe where would be the best place to take it to be fixed?

Cheers
    robo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As far as im aware theres a sony repair centres in Dublin, which would be able to repair it (assuming its a new enough model)... give one of the Sony Centres a ring and get a number & address for the repair place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lesson there is NEVER buy multi changers they crap and you can only play 1 cd at a time :)

I hate them they never ever even come close to outlasting a single disc player.
    And they usually ugly.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Aye thats a good point, cd changers are usually notoriously unreliable, I've never had of pleasure of owning one, but I know at least a dozen ppl who've had problems with them, even from quality manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks guys for your help.

But does anyone know of anywhere that might be a bit cheaper than a Sony Centre that could fix it, like a good repair shop for stereos etc? Anywhere in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If its out of warranty ,it would cost you the price of a nice 3 in 1 (Philips one in Currys€ 90) to get it fixed.
    But if its only the mechanism thats broken to pay to get it fixed would be about 50 or 60 save the cash and buy one of those Philips ones they are nice looking (cool green or silver) and great sound off them.

Open it and have a look maybe something simple (make sure not plugged in :D)
    Once you move away from the high street repair shops you into cowboy territory i know one guy who would do it but i woulndt recommend him to anyone.

But the nature of those machines is only last a year or so before you buy another.

If you stuck i have a Cd player for swap nice Philips one all it does is play CDs (no CDRS ).

Philips Hifi in Currys

I have full seperate system worth stupid amounts of cash but wife hounded me to get this for kitchen and sweet jebus the sound from it is superb. I was shocked but much impressed by it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Originally posted by Kali
    Aye thats a good point, cd changers are usually notoriously unreliable, I've never had of pleasure of owning one, but I know at least a dozen ppl who've had problems with them, even from quality manufacturers.

Id like to disagree with the quality manufacturer remark as i have a technics stereo with a 5 cd changer in it that has gotten a lot of use now for going on 5 years still no trouble and i know 2 other people with a similar model technics that have had no trouble either so the way i see it is you get what you pay for
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Audio Video Repair Services 15 Windsor ave, 3
    (01) 8339358 He's got a host of sony certs, and is there years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by KdjaC

But the nature of those machines is only last a year or so before you buy another.

I'd disagree with that. I've had my Sony 3 CD changer (RM-SR210) for over two years now and not had a bother with it. And it's been in use almost every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Audio Video Repair Services 15 Windsor ave, 3
    (01) 8339358 He's got a host of sony certs, and is there years.

Thanks Fabritzio, I might try there!

Advertisement